Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for confirmation on LFS IDs, before I make any choices about pairing up or selling off these fish.

Fish #1 (the big blue one, not the red zebras running around):

In addition to what you see in these pictures, the fish fades out its dark blue to light blue and shows its dark blue stripes when angry/dominant.

Fish #2 (pale blue one):

The lighting in the photo makes this fish look a little washed out. It's pale blue stripey with some brownish tones.

Thanks for the guidance!

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
First, if his bars really get black at times, is a Red Top BB Zebra. The actual scientific name is hard to determine, depending on where it's ancestors came from in the lake. Finding actual females of the same type would be pure guesswork. He might breed with the Red Zebras for fun. Looks like a nice male. Who is the alpha male in the tank who keeps his color down?

Second is a common Kenyi. Not terribly impressive specimen, but females are very easy to find as Kenyi are a very common mass market fish due to it's very attractive blue juveniles. I would consider it for moving out. Actually might possibly be an older female which has lost it's juvenile color.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for taking a look!

noki said:
First, if his bars really get black at times, is a Red Top BB Zebra. The actual scientific name is hard to determine, depending on where it's ancestors came from in the lake. Finding actual females of the same type would be pure guesswork. He might breed with the Red Zebras for fun. Looks like a nice male. Who is the alpha male in the tank who keeps his color down?
As far as I can tell, he's the alpha. There's a male red zebra that's a little smaller than this fish, but the red zebra always loses. He has this dark coloring when he's sailing around being happy/alpha, and when he gets mad is when he pulls his stripes out. They're very dark blue but not black. I've only seen him shimmy at the male red zebra from aggression, never seen him try to get with the girls.

I looked at the library profile pic, though, and I can see the resemblance for sure. I think it's a great looking fish and wouldn't mind pairing him up, just wanted to figure out with what! There aren't any female pics among the profiles. Is it most likely that this one is male?

Second is a common Kenyi. Not terribly impressive specimen, but females are very easy to find as Kenyi are a very common mass market fish due to it's very attractive blue juveniles. I would consider it for moving out. Actually might possibly be an older female which has lost it's juvenile color.
Yeah, I was definitely thinking of re-homing this one. I can see some resemblance to the kenyi pics, and personality wise it makes a certain amount of sense. She's relatively social and is always out and about swimming, but I have never seen her fight with anyone. She doesn't get pushed around either, which I have always thought was interesting since she's medium sized relative to others in the tank.

This one was sold as an electric blue ahli. Any chance it's really that?

Again, I appreciate the thoughts.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
You mean the Kenyi was sold as Electric Blue Ahli?

They obviously had no idea and guessed. The Kenyi are a cool bright blue when small. They got the blue part right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sigh. You want to support the LFS but sometimes the provenance is... not quite right. :?

Looking at the profiles some more, I'm pinning #1 as metriaclima greshakei. Some of those pics show them solid and dark blue rather than black barring which I think lines up.

That one was sold as c. borleyi red fin. :(

Well, now I know how to sort them out.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I may be way off base ....but #1. looks like a Yellow Tail Acei to me. :D

Dan

·
Registered
551 Posts
The first fish is not a greshakei either, it is much too dark for that. It is some form of red top zebra of which there are many species each with variants such as Metriaclima emmilitos, Metriaclima pyrsonotos, Metriaclima zebra and several others.

Without knowing a collection point it is not really possible to tell for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts