Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been trying to find out the name of this guys and any background info on him. I think he's of the Mbuna family or Hogni group? could be totally in the red. LOL

Thanks Water Vertebrate Blue Window Underwater

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good morning Noki, I think you hit a home run with this. As I am stepping up my game to the next level with care and learning all I need to know about Cichlids 101, this forum is a great resource as you already know. I've been researching for 2 weeks try to find out about this guy (Big Blue), and wasn't even close. Big Blue is like a powder blue and his stripes are not as defined and he has six or seven egg spots on his fin. I am wondering the possibility of cross breeding? I want to stay true to the cichlid fam. What are your thoughts? Thank you 😃

·
Super Moderator
40,540 Posts
If your fish was not sold to you with a scientific name there is no way you can be 100% sure he is pure. If your want to breed fish, start over with a pure fish purchased from a vendor that can provide the scientific name (genus plus species) and if possible also the collection point.

Otherwise this type of identification is helpful to know what to expect from the fish as far as behavior and compatibility with tankmates.

Reactions: Honey Bear!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome, thanks for the advise. Can you recommend any vendors that will ship to the Windsor Mill, MD area? Also, I will be setting up a 30 gal tall in a few weeks. What kind of HOB or canister should I go with? I just have the tank. I would need to purchase everything else including stand.:cautious:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked this tank up from a customer. The stand was trashed as they left it in the back yard before asking me to get rid of it. I am open to setting it up as the community suggest. I wish I had room for a 55gal. Once I upgrade my 55 i have now to 120, hopefully in a year, I won't have room for the 55. Attached is what I be leave to be a 30 tall. I have to talk with The Wife so she budget it in. Oh, I was hope all my new friend can help me determine what kind of fish to stock it with? As you know, I have 5 male Luwino Reef in the 55 and a Pleco. Wood Gas Packing materials Automotive tire Flooring

·
Super Moderator
1,864 Posts
OK, thanks for the picture!! I'm guessing you don't want to stock it with any cichlids, correct?

First I'd clean the tank up, vinegar and water should clean it up well. Second I'd fill it with water outside for a day or two to be sure it doesn't leak at all.

Are you leaning more toward normal tropical fish rather than any cichlids?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know right, not a lot of space for cichlids. I was looking at one area of what is called my Man Cave where she seem to make the decisions that will fit a 55. But, I would have to move some of her belongings and possibly get rid of pool table. I haven't played on it in years. Not interested in nothing else but cichlids. is there a breed of cichlid that fit that 30?

·
Super Moderator
1,864 Posts
I think that style tank is called a flat back hex aquarium and it may be helpful to post the dimensions, mostly the back length, the 2 short sides and the height.

I might be tempted to stock one of the dwarf species of Julidochromis that only get 2 inches long and fill the tank almost to the top with rock piles though once they start spawning, it would be almost impossible to catch any fry to sell or share with other hobbyists though.

The footprint of the tank isn't really conducive to most cichlids so take your time before deciding. Maybe get your wife interested in 'normal' tropical fish so she can share your passion?

·
Super Moderator
40,540 Posts
You probably don't want 5 male Luwino Reef in the same tank regardless of tank mates unless we are talking about an 8 foot or larger. They are a large aggressive mbuna.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Fam, exciting news. The Wife gave me the go ahead to get a 90-120o_O. Let the hunt began! Any suggestions for the beat place and price? I need to put 2 sponge filters in my 55 now to help with the cycling of the new tank a month down the road.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Facebook marketplace has some good deals from time to time, couple within driving range of me that are tempting

·
Super Moderator
40,540 Posts
Private conversation sent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts