Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gal setup that is running and all I really need to do is add some stuff to make it a "cichlid tank" such as a cichlid conditioner, new substrate, some Texas Holey rock, fish, etc. The only sticking point for me is the type of fish to use in the tank. See, I have it narrowed down to Haps and Peacocks or South American species. I really like bright colors as I have a tropical planted tank with rainbowfish, killifish and assorted tetras. I like the geophagus and rams on the New World end, do not care for scars for some reason, and really like most of the Haps I have come across. I think I am leaning more towards the Malawi Haps and Peacocks because of their bright colors and easygoing temperament, but I wanted to ask those who are more experienced than I what thwy think I should do as far as choosing between the two groups. Remember, I do not likethe it when fish are aggressive towards each other, but I do like bright, odd or anything that draws the eye to the fish tank.

Thanks!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a Hap/Peacock tank (video in my sig) and I love it. That said, if you want to avoid aggression it may not be the way to go. If you have the right mix then it is pretty peaceful, but getting there is the rub. You're never quite sure which fish will be the problem. For me, early on, it was an ngara flametail which is typically a peaceful fish. He simply had to go. You have to have an extra tank or two ready for any bullies.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I switched from New World to Mbuna. More color, more enjoyable to watch IMO. If they were available here, I would have gone Hap/Peacock all the way but I did not want to order them.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I have had tanks of all three general types and enjoyed all. There are certainly fish in each group who may give trouble but there are ways to slant the odds in your favor before you decide. If the brighter colors appeal to you, I would definitely look to African cichlids for color even though they have grown a rep for bad behavior. Part of that is due to the types first imported and now due to the worst types being sold to the most unsuspecting buyers. Look at any tank of "mixed cichlids" and you are apt to see this. Bad public policy!!! Look in the forum library for articles on haps ,peacocks and mbuna. In one of those you will find a chart of relative agressive nature of the different fish. Very good article and spot on as far as I find.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/haps_vs_mbuna.php

Choose from the calm groups and it increases your odds a lot. Don't just buy the "pretty" fish. It sometimes takes a bold (mean?) fish to be the prettiest in the lake!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I plan on going hap/peacock all the way, and I have a friend who might be willing to take any overly-aggressive fish off my hands. Thanks for your opinions, it helped me so much!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I'm always glad to see people are doing some thinking first. We read about so many that rush out to the shop and buy that pretty one and that pretty one over there. They get home with a bunch of killers and then ask why the fish die. As in most hobbies, a little planning and thought goes a long way toward making it fun. Would they jump on a motorcycle and go for a spin without knowing the throttle from the brake?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
PfunMo said:
Would they jump on a motorcycle and go for a spin without knowing the throttle from the brake?
You don't spend any time on motorcycles forums, do you? :lol: They absolutely do!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I've got motorcycles on the brain after watching the news. Republic of Texas killathon is here again. Three dead so far!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
****... I stopped watching the news once the economy tanked, I figured it was cheaper than getting put on antidepressants.

But yeah I never go into a situation unprepared. Hence, on every date I go on I carry a condom in my wallet. Just in case... not sure if that's hopefulness or preparedness, but either way it can't hurt. So yeah, big fan of preparedness and research. That and the cichlid tank I am going to set up is built into a house that we have not closed on yet, but are un :D der contract with. So I have to do SOMETHING with my time while I wait for the tank to finally be mine. It seems to be a good 90 gallons; the only stuff I think I should salvage are the lights and the tank background, and even the lights might see an led upgrade. The filter is a couple of ancient tetra whisper hang ons. I plan on a nicer marineland canister because a buddy can hook me up for cheap. So yeah, I have it all planned out, and pride myself on that ability. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts