Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you intermix types of tangs? Say i have a 75 gallon, can I mix one Troph group with a few types of Julies and a few types of shellies? or is it pick one type and thats it?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Tropeus are best kept in an all tropeus setup, and I wouldn't recommend more than one type of juli or one type of shellie in the same tank. You will have problems with aggression, and crossbreeding. There are many tangs that can be mixed if species are chosen carefully. Take a look in the cookie cutter setups to get a general idea, or look in the profiles at mores species, pick out some you like, and we can tell you what will work.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Shellies! Can a julie species be kept with a shell dweller pair?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am partial to the Neo. Brichardi and Neo Lelupi...is there no Tropheus species that can co exist with neolamprolugus? other than these one shell dweller pair or two at opposite ends of the tank?

·
Registered
705 Posts
julies and shellies work very well together. a nice rockpile for a pair of julies and nice sandy bottom for the shellies. another species your not considering is cyps. they carry some color and would probably fit in better with others then the tropheus. brichardi can get MEAN when its breeding time. lelupi are pretty much the same way only with very little overall brood-care. id stick with julies shellies And?!???

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what I'm hearing is....Julies, Shellies, and a school of Cyps? Can't do neolamps instead of Cyps....I thought the Julies stuck to the rocks, the Shellies lived in shells in the sand, and then neolamps would school in the open water?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I always thought of neolamps as rock dwellers too. The caudopunctatus use the entire tank I have found, but they want rocks to spawn and other rock dwellers (like leleupi) will kill them to get to the fry.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
eoconnor said:
Can you intermix types of tangs? Say i have a 75 gallon, can I mix one Troph group with a few types of Julies and a few types of shellies? or is it pick one type and thats it?
One type of Troph (group of 20) one type of Julie (6 to get a pair ornatus or transcriptus) plus one type of shelly (one that stand up for itself like a Telmatochromis burgeoni pair can work in a 75g and all can do fine when young together on a Tropheus type diet all liking some algae in the diet but its pushing it long term, better in a bigger tank.

Yep think you will get more joy long term going one rockdweller eg Julie (ornatus or transcriptus), one shelly eg multies and a bunch of none jumbo Cyps long term.

Puncs and Altolamps are harder to figure, they kind of a bit in each niche so if going for those its harder to see what goes well but I bet you could get them to work depending on tank mates.

Classic low chance of cross species problems tank is three species one from three very differnt types but 4 or more can sometimes be squeezed in depending on good aquascaping skills.

As for mixing N.brichardi and N.leleupi with Tropheus in a 75g yep it has been done but it kind of works less well than hoped.

All the best James

·
Registered
212 Posts
compressiceps will work with anything, caudopunctatus are generally good tankmates, YOu dont need cyps or tropheus. You could probably have a pair of 2 different shellies.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Most folks keep separate herbivorous Tangs (petros, tropheus and gobies) with the rest of the common species. This is a function of both diet and behavior. The herbs being a bit more spastic/aggressive than the more slowly moving other guys.

I had a 75 set up with Cyps, Paracyps and a bunch of Gold head comps. Eventually pulled out aand sold a couple of pairs of comps to leave me with 2M/2F. Was always an entertaining tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts