Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large Male Malawi Eye Biter (about 8 inches or so) that has had a bulging stomach for the last couple of months or so
It does not seem to shrink or flatten out
He eats aggressively and is the boss of the tank, but I can't figure out why his stomach is distended
I will try and add a pic or video if possible

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Also how do the feces look?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Have you tried Epsom salts?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of trying that
The only issue is I would have to treat the whole tank as the only spare tank I currently have is a 10 gallon tank, and he would go ballistic in there
what dose should i use for a 125 gallon taken. it would be a lot of Epsom salts and it would not hurt the other fish in there
any dosing thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Even though you don't have bloat, here is the dosage from the bloat article in the Library.

In addition to treating your tank with any of the above drugs, you should also add Epsom salt at the rate of 2 tablespoons per ten gallons. Dissolve it first and add it gradually over 5-6 hours time. Epsom salt is a natural laxative and will help your bloated fish lose some of the water it has been taking on. Epsom salt is very cheap, costing something like $2 for 3 lbs. It can be obtained from any grocery store or pharmacy. When performing water changes, as required for all medications, be sure to add water of the same salinity and temperature.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks
Will start adding it now

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so 5 days later after adding the epsom salt, there is still no change in the fish's stomach
still sticking out and bulging
any other possible remedies

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the fish still has a bloated stomach
I am thinking of doing a salt bath one tablespoon of epsom salt in one gallon

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has been over 2 months now that the fish's stomach is bloated and still no change
I have tried salt baths, and still the issue remains
I don't know what else to try
the fish eats and behaves normally except it has a bloated belly...I am afraid he may die eventually
could it be a parasite or something like that

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well it seems that my fish is back to normal
the bulge in his stomach disappeared a couple of weeks ago, and he looks normal again

not sure what did it
either the salt bath, feeding peas, or just happenned

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Good news! That was going to be my first question.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts