Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read numerous articles online about quarantining the affected fish for treatment but I don't understand that if they consider bloat contagious, why only the ones showing signs are quarantined. How do I catch the bloat from spreading to my healthy fish if there is a carrier of the disease and I can't tell?

Can anyone tell me if they have treated their whole aquarium with Clout with success? I can't lose any more fish. I only have yellows 4 left.

I have a 55 gallon with a few small parrots and 3 very young Johanni and 3 adult Johanni. Only the electric yellows are affected but I noticed one Johanni exhibiting flashing behavior.

·
Super Moderator
40,729 Posts
If you are going to treat the whole aquarium, metronizadole is kinder to your silicone and your bacteria.

I'm sure there are people who treat the whole tank with Clout as well.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Personally I disagree with the idea that bloat disease spreads like the flu. Bloat is a problem with stressed fish, usually from environmental stress. If cichlids are sick in a tank, the other fish may also be at risk. You treat the whole tank at once. If you isolate the sick fish, you stress out the fish even more.

Use Metronidazole as the medication. With a regimen of partial water changes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Bloat deaths can be very traumatizing.
You lose fish day after day, sometimes with no end in sight (or until the last one left).

Treat it fast, and treat the whole **** tank, and keep treatment on for several weeks until all fish are recovered.

Metronidazole is the way to go.

·
Registered
639 Posts
DJRansome said:
If you are going to treat the whole aquarium, metronizadole is kinder to your silicone and your bacteria.

I'm sure there are people who treat the whole tank with Clout as well.
+1 I have treated my whole tank with metro and had great results. I've never had the need to use clout.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts