Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed over and over but I have a 560 litre 5ft by 2ft by 2ft tank full of electric yellows,cobalt blues assorted peacocks,bristle nose,clown loaches,a total of thirty fish .The cichlids are all about 3-4 cm.Most posts say not to add convicts but in smaller tanks,would it work in my tank?It has slate piled up plenty of hiding spaces.The convicts are also going to be 3-4 cms am I being stupid considering this?I just love the habits of these convicts :oops: By the way i was thinking of a 1male 3 female ratio?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I've kept cons with mbuna for decades. Seen it work fine in other people's tanks many times. IMO, sometimes it's a better choice of tankmate then other CA. A 5' x 2' x 2' is a good sized tank, making for a prety good chance of success.

Often, I have kept convicts in a 1 male to 2-3 female ratio. Sometimes a male will pair up and/or breed with more then one female at the same time; always males have bred with more then one female over the course of months or years.

But breeding cons can sometimes put a lot of pressure on a community tank. Success with in a community tank is usually dependant apon at least something being able to stand up to them. If they claim too much space, 30+ fish may prove to be too much. Different individuals under different circumstances ...... different outcomes; there is no blueprint or gaurantee with cichlids. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to mix the two, as I have done so for years, but I would definately consider thinning out the stock, over time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 2 convicts mixed with 6 yellows and some "feeder" fish in a 150 liter tank. The convicts are currently looking after some fry that are 2 days old except for the occasional chase everything appears to be ok. The convicts have taken over a 1/2 hollow log and have dug 2 holes around the log and 1 in the log itself. All of the other fish seem to be respecting the personal space of the convicts.

Adrian

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well *** done it! They are a bit bigger than I expected about 3 inches and the other which I think is a female is slightly larger.My question is after reading all the info I can find the females are the ones with the orange belly?Well my female is slightly larger than the other and seems to be the one doing all the chasing and the male doesnt seem interested, are they big enough to have coloured up fully or could the one with out the colour be another female?Their fins are a bit tattered from previous housing so I cant really see any extensions.Is this normal behaviour?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 2 convicts I have are both are less than 2.5 inches long (male is slightly larger than female) female colored up nicely orange belly blue tint to all fins and they spawned. Currently have 30 fry @ <1/4 inch swimming around. Both Convicts are now very aggressive and are keeping the other fish up one end of the tank.

Adrian

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have kept them for a long time as well and yes it usually works. It seems like they have similar aggression and as long as you don't have any frontosas that look similar you should be ok. They tend to be aggressive toward eachother. I suggest that you keep a breeding quad 1 male to 3 females. This way the male will not pick on any one female. Also I would not keep any demasoni because they will beat on the convicts constantly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts