Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few videos on YouTube about making your own fish food. I want to save some money and make my own. the ingredients I've seen are vegetables and either brine shrimp or portien pellets. the cost of either of those is close to the cost of what I would pay for the frozen food I am trying not to buy in the first place. I need suggestions on how to make a frozen food for my Malawi chiclids and save money. Also I've read its bad to feed them blood worms. Of course I found that out after I bought them. Would it be okay to use them as a protien ingredient for making my own food. Since it will be chopped up in a blender would it be okay? I'd like to use them up instead of disposing them.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've used veggies and some olderish, freezer-burned Walmart shrimp ... I cooked the veggies and ground them up in food processor and then dried it in the oven in a cupcake pan ... fish loved it.

If I were to do it again, I think I would spread it out in a thinner layer on a cookie sheet and (partially) dry it that way.

Expect a fairly significant shrinkage in volume if you dry it at all ... as there is so much water in it.

Freeze what you can't use in a week, and if there is enough moisture in the finished product that it is soft, keep it refrigerated.

·
Registered
210 Posts
People like to feed stuff like brine shrimp to their fish and hatch them out themselves. It is very cheap if you do it yourself but a big pain.

You don't really need much protein for mbuna though. It just tends to make them more aggressive to have more protein. I used to throw them bits of chicken sometimes when I had extras from feeding the dogs but that caused huge problems in the tank.

Now I feed them koi pond sticks and pellets as a cheap staple and occasionally bits of tetracolor which is pretty cheap by weight, and fresh veggies of all kind. There's always all kinds of veggies at the dollar store and they probably think I am a weirdo for purchasing a whole bunch of bags of zuchinis whenever they get them in. We're talking about 50 bucks a year to feed dozens and dozens of fish.

If you aren't happy with that cheap routine, then you can use peas for protein and whatever kind of veggies are cheap and blend them up and either freeze them or press them into sheets and bake them into flakes. Mbuna are one of the least fussy fish around and only stuff like crayfish which eat literally "anything edible" are less demanding in the food department, so no need to knock yourself our with expensive or time consuming feeding routines.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I'd skip the bloodworms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts