Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a free 40g tall from someone. The center brace was cut out of it, since its a tall tank I dont trust filling it without a brace. I read some where about using a piece of pvc pipe and notching the ends to place over both sides of the tank as a brace. Anyone have any experience doing this or something similar? Looking for a cheap quick fix. Im not overly concerned about looks, just want to use the tank.

I also need to look into resealing the silicon, something *** never done before. The tank was being used to house mice and there is one side of the tank where they chewd the seal, the rest of the seals are in good shape.

Also the tank smells of mice urine, any thoughts on getting rid of the smell?

·
Registered
144 Posts
You could use some Acrylic and make a brace out of that and for the smell you could use bleach but, Just make sure you wash it out and air dry it for about 2 days to not take any chances of being left over bleach.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The PVC pipe should work although it would be unsightly. If you are going to reseal, why not add a piece of glass as a brace?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Get a 3 inch wide strip of glass that will fit inside the tank and silicone it in just under the rim. Should only cost you about $ 5 at a glass shop.

·
Registered
78 Posts
we also were looking at a 55 gallon that was very cheap and had a cracked center brace, and we found that you could order the whole replacement top trim for like 20 bucks, and to answer your question, yes I think a piece of pvc can work, just about anything thing can if you are using this as a breeder, or growout tank, or other. as has been mentioned, its not "eye candy", however I would totally rock a pvc brace for a free tank :thumb: you could prolly use alot of different things like plastic wood clamps, piece of metal with correct inside dimensions to fit over the whole top center brace section thats missing? glass brace
( i think its called euro bracing???)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts