Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 140 gallon acrylic tank measuring 60x18x30. This tank has a corner overflow in the left corner, but it had been sealed off at the bottom and one of the side holes. On investigating the way the holes in the bottom were sealed, it became obvious that it could be undone pretty easily. The guy used a piece of acrylic that he glued to the bottom with some kind of cheap glue, and then used marine tex on the bottom to fill in the gap. Tapping gently with a hammer, the marine tex crumbled and fell out, and a few taps later the piece of acrylic blocking the bottom holes popped cleanly off and I was in business. I then turned my attention to the upper hole for the return (there seems to be two holes for the return line in the side of the overflow box, one high and one low). The upper hole had been sealed off by a 3/4 piece of acrylic, and I had hoped that he had done just as poor a job glueing this as he had the bottom piece, so away we went with the hammer and screwdriver. Apparently he used Weldon on this. A fairly decent sized piece of my overflow broke off ( see pic). I have on hand weldon 4 and 16, and Im thinking of reattaching the piece that busted off and sealing the cracks that were also created that you can see in the pic. Any input on how best to repair this would be much appreciated, and yes, I realize I was really dumb to try to remove that piece with a hammer and screwdriver. Saturday night, bored, impatient...... Secondly, what should I do for the return side once this is fixed. There is already a hole in the bottom. Should I just use that, or drill a second hole under the repair. I have zero experience with overflows, so any help here would be much appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

[/img]

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Sorry. No experience with that problem but I will give it a bump up and there might be others who have ideas. Personally I like postings that give the needed information to start rather than taking half a week to drag out the info.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am not a professional but I would say you can reattach it. just keep the piece he has there and attach it to that. if you want that hole for you output then drill it out. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
174 Posts
with acrylic you are slightly lucky in that yuo can reattach and reinforce with a fairly permanent bond (vice silicon and glass) pretty easily. I would by some good acrylic cement, then bond a piece of reinforcement behind the broken piece to ensure it doesnt pop off from pressure and you should be fine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coming from aircraft sheetmetal background I would drill a hole at the end of those cracks and refill with silicone to eliminate the cracks worsening .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just my thought, but if you have weldon, Use it, put it back together dont worry the pressure toward the top of the tank is considerably less but seal it good you dont want it to leak in through the crack or hole, that will allow your sump to fill to much in a power failure. As far as the return put it anywhere you want close to the top. If you use a return low in tank it will need a check valve to keep it from draining back in a power failure. As far as reinforcing Homedepot has acrylic plates any thickness you like, This would be the preffered way. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts