Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
scrape it all off and then do a decent water change. works for me. i let it grow on the rocks but glass gets scraped. typically its a razor blade where it is bad (can really bring back ur glass just gotta be careful) and a cpl of brushes from petco. GL in the algae fight.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
prov356 said:
Frenz9 said:
should i scrape it off? or should i just buy a plec?
BN pleco or nerite snails.
Those nerite snails work wonders. I couldn't believe how much algae those buggers eat. My rocks are actually cleaner now than when I first put them in and I power washed, bleached and power washed again.....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
A pleco would love it and clean it up.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I don't find any thing eating my brown in new tanks. I find the magnetic glass cleaners as easy as anything. Just watch that you don't get sand under the head of the cleaner. It can put a nasty scratch on the glass.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
PfunMo said:
I don't find any thing eating my brown in new tanks. I find the magnetic glass cleaners as easy as anything. Just watch that you don't get sand under the head of the cleaner. It can put a nasty scratch on the glass.
+1
I put a 2" scratch in the brand new
125 w hen I got it. :x

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
What size tank is it. I put one bn in my 125 Ca tank and he got it clean in less then a week.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'll take a day or two! :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
i get hair algae every time i rise the sponges for some reason. my bn's strip the tank clean over night. you should feed them to though, they really appreciate algae wafers and vegtables.

i also think my female bn pleco is about the cutest thing in the world, my male not as much.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Will my 2" Synodontis luccipinis's bother a BN? I have 5, and at first they held their ground against my new P. Spilinotus's, so they do have spunk. I have green algae on my rocks, and some brown on the glass that I would like to get rid of without bleach.

Thanks

Art

·
Registered
184 Posts
My baby BN (has little spikes) turns around and raises his fins when i start to look at him. :lol:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Pizzle said:
I know a Bristle nose will eat green algae but do they eat brown algea too? Do Nerites eat brown algae?
I've never had any algae (brown or green) in my 29g that has 2 BNs in it.

Nerites definately eat brown algae. 10 olive nerites completely cleaned all the glass, rocks, intake tubes etc. in my 55g tank in about 8-10 days. Everything was covered in brown algae. It's been several months now and they continue to kept it clean.

·
Registered
944 Posts
BN pleco or nerite snails.[/quote]

So Africans wont eat the nerite snails? If you got only one snail and you keep a really clean tank, would he have enough to eat from the rocks and mostly clean glass, or would you need to feed him? I feed my fish spirulina too, so maybe he could eat the leftovers of that?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts