Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my first test kit for my aquarium its been up and running for around 2-3 months now its a 100 gallon tank with a 125g (with 13 fish) 1 fluval clear filter and a Marineland Penguin 350 bio wheel I've had a few loses throughout the tank (3 in total) 2 were due to aggression however last night lost an OB that had no signs of illness or fighting perfect fins and scales all my other fish are doing well so i got a water tester, i change my water 50% every week before the most recent change i was at 1ppm of ammonia so immediatly changed the water and cleaned the sand thoroughly along with new filter media but to my surprise was still reading 1ppm ammonia im not well versed with how to maintain water quality and figure out nitrate cycles and have been doing research i know that water quality is vital to all fish lives for their health however never had issues doing weekly water changes and thoroughly cleaning the substrate but now with the kit i should have had a long time ago im learning alot about it so i was curious how to maintain ideal water quality for my fish

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Well the first thing to know is that your beneficial bacteria live in the filter media, so you should not replace it...at least not 100% at once. If this happened then you may have a new cycle or a mini cycle, which is difficult with fish in the tank. They may survive the toxins, but it is harmful to their health.

Once your beneficial bacteria are re-established in your filter media (up to six weeks) then a 50% weekly water change will usually suffice.

What are the test results for nitrite and nitrate?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts