Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have recently set up and cycled a 250L (approx 65 gallon) tank has a canister filter rated at 2000L/hour.

I am really keen on getting some cichlids and in particular want to get both maingano and electric yellow both would be coming to me around 4cm. Was thinking 5 of each. How many would you all suggest? And any tips for keeping these together?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
They are fine together, but the maingano are aggressive so a 48" x 18" or larger is ideal. What is the length and width of your tank? Is it a standard rectangle shape?

Even in the larger tank go 1m:7f for the maingano.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
It is a small tank for Malawi. You would be OK with a single species tank with 1m:4f of the yellow labs but I'd skip the Maingano or any other species with the labs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
DJRansome said:
It is a small tank for Malawi. You would be OK with a single species tank with 1m:4f of the yellow labs but I'd skip the Maingano or any other species with the labs.
I respectfully disagree. Melochromis are way more aggressive with each other than with a very passive species like Labiochromis.

If you slightly overcrowd them and make sure to have a 1m/7f ratio of the Maigano you will likely not have a problem.

The dominate male will run the tank, and the Yellow Labs will fall in line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts