Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Magnum HOT 250 last week. I've tried running it several times and after I fill it with tank water to prepare it for running, all that happens is that what I've added get's pushed out the outtake valve and nothing comes in through the intake. I've heard of priming problems with these units and probably made about a dozen attempts at getting the thing going this afternoon before I gave up.

Any guidance around what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I've not used that exact one but often there is a lot of good info on the website. Might suggest checking there if you don't have written info on hand.

·
Registered
874 Posts
zimmy said:
I bought a Magnum HOT 250 last week. I've tried running it several times and after I fill it with tank water to prepare it for running, all that happens is that what I've added get's pushed out the outtake valve and nothing comes in through the intake. I've heard of priming problems with these units and probably made about a dozen attempts at getting the thing going this afternoon before I gave up.

Any guidance around what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
maybe try to exchange it for another one?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I haven’t run mine in a while, but I never had any problems when it was in use.

Are you using the cage with the sponge sleeve around it for your additives, or are you just putting it in the canister loose? I’m fairly certain the cage is required. It sounds like you’re priming it correctly – pretty much just have to fill it with water. Have you taken apart the impeller assembly to make sure everything is placed correctly? Also might try running it with nothing in it to see if your media is clogging it up.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
After rereading, it sounds like you must have a leak letting air in at the input side. Theory says that if you have water in the canister and the pump is pushing that water out at the outlet, water would have to be sucked in at the inlet, assuming the inlet is in the water. If still having trouble you might look for leaks there. Sounds like it would be fairly large like maybe a pipe open or a full gasket of some sort missing.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have one that I have been using for a couple of years and have had no problems. Are you sure it is set up correctly? There are two soft rubber gaskets that are part of the setup. Could these be out of place. When I first got mine I had to look at the instructions the first few times I put it back together. I think what I would do is disassemble it and using the instructions reassemble it making sure you haven't made any mistakes.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. As far as I can tell, the only thing I'm not doing according to the instructions is have the outtake tube completely submerged below the water (the instructions say that the elbow needs to be below the waterline). The problem for me in doing this is that I'd need to have the tank filled with water almost to the brim (something I'm not willing to do). I might end up using the filter mainly as a vacuum in which case I'll saw the elbow and attach a hose to get the outtake well below the waterline.

In either case though, I can't see why this would make any difference.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cjacob316 said:
yeah it probably prevents it from making a vacuum and starting a syphon
I just tried it on a bucket filled to the brim with the outtake elbow below the waterline. Unfortunately, it made no difference. After expelling some water it just gurgles along spitting water out occasionally. I couldn't feel any water actually going into the canister through the intake.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
If it pushes water out of the canister but does not draw water into the canister, there has to be an air leak at the inlet side. You can't draw water out of a closed container without letting air or water into that container. Has to be a leak.

·
Registered
929 Posts
PfunMo said:
If it pushes water out of the canister but does not draw water into the canister, there has to be an air leak at the inlet side. You can't draw water out of a closed container without letting air or water into that container. Has to be a leak.
I agree. Can't think of anything else that would give the results you're getting. If it's new, you might want to exchange it.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PfunMo said:
Makes sense. I can't locate the leak unfortunately. I bought the pump online but I'm going to return it (will have to take a loss on the shipping charges :( ).

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Before doing the shipping thing, there might be a way. The leak will almost certainly be ate a connection or joint of some type. Do you have a tub or other container where you can fit the intake under water? I'm thinking of putting the intake further and further under water until the filter begins to pump correctly. At some point the leak that is now letting in air will begin to suck in water as you put more and more of the intake under water. This should be a major change that you can see.
Another thought might be to use electrical tape wrapped tightly at each connection to maker a temp seal to stop the air leak. Once found, it may be simple to deal with fixing. Shipping and doing without it is a bite. I put those off if I can.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PfunMo said:
Before doing the shipping thing, there might be a way. The leak will almost certainly be ate a connection or joint of some type. Do you have a tub or other container where you can fit the intake under water? I'm thinking of putting the intake further and further under water until the filter begins to pump correctly. At some point the leak that is now letting in air will begin to suck in water as you put more and more of the intake under water. This should be a major change that you can see.
Another thought might be to use electrical tape wrapped tightly at each connection to maker a temp seal to stop the air leak. Once found, it may be simple to deal with fixing. Shipping and doing without it is a bite. I put those off if I can.
Thanks for this suggestion, PfunMo. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to locate the leak. jason081180, I had forgotten that the package had a little tube of silicone lubricant. I applied that to the D ring and the seal where the intake tube joins the canister. Still no success.

I called Marineland this morning and they're going to send me some replacement parts. I'm not so impressed with the filter so far but the customer service was pretty great.

I'll update on what happens after I set it up again with the replacement parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts