Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I have been using this filter for about 10 years nonstop with no problems now suddlenly it is having lots of problems. I ended up not using it for a few months because I turned it off for a water change and then just could not get the sucker going again. It would just rattle and push through a small bit of water then rattle more, really loudly.

Then I tried again and managed to get it going after a lot of tries, without any filter media. I got it going by just stopping and restarting over and over until it got going.

I have inspected the insides and there is nothing obvious wrong with anything. The impeller looks OK though it seems kinda loose in the housing. Not sure if I need a new part or which part I may need. Anyone had the same issue?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I gave up on it. The clincher was that youtube sent me an ad for a marineland 220 for 89.10 as I was watching some troubleshooting videos. I guess that marketed advertising does work sometimes.

I was not sure what parts to get and it also needs a new canister so I would have had to pay around 40-50 bucks to get all the stuff I needed to get it going, which is kind of a lot for a maybe 20 year old piece of equipment. Why bother when I can spend a little more to get something brand new that has a more modern design?

I will keep this one though for now, and if someone knows the problem and helps me get it going then that would be great.

·
Super Moderator
1,925 Posts
It's been a few years since I had the Magnum 350 but I seem to recall having a similar problem with the rattle. I can't remember if I bought a new impeller or not so can't comment on whether it fixed the issue or not. I do know that I ended up selling the filter and some spare parts at my local club auction so I was able to get a few bucks for it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts