Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tanks are stacked, not side by side.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rig this up?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe have some sort of siphon going from the top tank going to the bottom tank and have the inlet of the magnum in the bottom tank with the return going up to the top tank?

Or possibly having a pump in the bottom tank going to the top tank and the inlet to the magnum in the top tank to the magnum and then having the discharge going to the bottom tank since it should work better with a siphon?

Or possibly 2 magnums, 1 for each tank?

Never heard of this set up before, GL on it though. Pics and updates when you figure it out!

·
Registered
73 Posts
With tubing & Tees from a hardware store you can split off the lines to each tank but in all honesty I think you will be way under filtering both tanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
You'd need an overflow in the higher thank that drains in the lower one. If you then put the intake of the filter in the lower tank, and the output in the higher tank, you should be good as gold :thumb:

The Magnum 350 is rated for tanks of 100G, but the media volume of 16oz (about 0.5L) is tiny. Similarly rated filters are:

Fluval 405, rating: 100G, media volume: 8.5L
Rena XP2, rating: 75G, media volume: 6.3L
Eheim 2215, rating: 75G, media volume: 4L
(data from: Petsolutions Canister Filter Comparison Chart)

The much larger media volume of those filters shows that the Magnum can't possibly do well if used as an only filter on a 75G, let alone a 100G or larger tank. Either you need to supplement it with other filters, or use it on a much smaller tank. In other words, hooking it up to one 55G sounds like a much better idea than hooking it up to two.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

I'm thinking this is a scratch now.

Just trying to figure out ways to run the 2 55s with less electricity usage.

I have the two 55s, a 125 and a 150.

I kinda want two more 55's...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no experience with the sponge filters.

Don't know how great they would be, but I could probably get away with them for a breeder tank that would never be heavily stocked, I guess.

I don't know...

That's kinda why I am asking around.

I imagine a common sump with overflows would be the way to go, but I don't really want that in my LR either.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
The only real disadvantage of sponge filters is that they don't look all that pretty in a show tank. Most successful cichlid breeders I know, some of whom have hundreds of tanks in their hatcheries, run all of their tanks exclusively with sponge filters. It is far and away the cheapest option for filtering a tank. And if the sponges can't get the job done in a particular tank, because the fish are especially messy or the tank is overstocked, the solution is simple - put in an additional sponge filter :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts