Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a water change I sucked one of my Cyps out of the tank and down the drain. I should have put a piece of stocking over the opening of the Python.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sorry about the Cyp. :(

I stick a small piece of sponge in the end of the hose specifically for cyp safety. Unfortunately, they’re the perfect shape to go for a ride if they get too close. My other fish wouldn’t fit through the tube even if they wanted to.

·
Registered
185 Posts
your not the only one.. My gf has a small tetra/shrimp/betta tank.. I got her a new filter from my LFS tonight, which didn't work out of the box. So I put one of my older one's on there for her, without a guard on the end..
Tetra shake anyone? :eek:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol.........I think my Cyps last words were......... :fish: ........... :D Weeeeeee!!... :eek: Uh oh.

·
Registered
790 Posts
that funny. I bet so many people have story's of doing this.
Did the same thing as you but I got two instead of one :oops:

Now I use a internal pump on the end of my python, it has it's own filter on it, so nothing can get sucked up. I can drain all 16 of my tanks in just shy of an half an hour. and it on saves on water by not having the python running the suction.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Furcifer158 said:
Now I use a internal pump on the end of my python, it has it's own filter on it, so nothing can get sucked up. I can drain all 16 of my tanks in just shy of an half an hour. and it on saves on water by not having the python running the suction.
Not to hyjack, but what kind of pump? And what do you do about vacuuming the substrate?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Most of my tanks have little sand in them so I never vacuum it. The few tanks that have more than half an inch I just mix the sand up with my hand when doing water changes, maybe once a month.

I also keep trumpet snails in most of the tanks.

·
Registered
790 Posts
They are just internal pumps with a pre filter. A lot of purple use them in sumps.

But these ones have threading on them for attaching a garden hose.
You can get them at home depot.
I can take you a picture of mine if you want

1 - 12 of 12 Posts