Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on setting up a new Mbuna tank in a few months after I move. It will probably be a 55 or 75 gal with 3-4 species. One species that I really like is Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos. I'm not getting them specifically to breed them, but I figure it would be a nice bonus if they did breed - also breeding fish are happy fish :fish:

Do the M. cyaneorhabdos prefer a 1m to 3f sex ratio like many other Mbuna? I will probably be starting with juvies, so it may be almost impossible to sex them at time of purchase. Would you recommend starting out with 8 or so juvies and then venting them (never done this) and culling out the extra males once they have matured?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
1 male to 3-4 females should be fine.

Yes, I would start out with 6-8 juveniles and remove some later.

What other species are you considering keeping?

Kim

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kim, that question is currently making my head explode! There are many nice options and I also don't know what species will actually be available to me when I move (to St. Louis). I'll post a separate thread for this when I have done a little more research.

Thanks for answering my questions.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Kanorin said:
Kim, that question is currently making my head explode! There are many nice options and I also don't know what species will actually be available to me when I move (to St. Louis). I'll post a separate thread for this when I have done a little more research.

Thanks for answering my questions.
im going through the same issues Kano! Mainganos were one of the fish I'd been looking at.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Not sure how the cichlid selection is in the St. Louis area...I'm from Kentucky, and I can tell you that there isn't much to choose from in the western part of the state. Hopefully, being in a larger city, you'll have some choices.

Kim

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi from Sydney.

Back in December I got 7 Mainganos and 7 Yellow Labs.

They are housed in what many would think a ridiculous tank - a 35G that is very tall. But I have substrate-to-surface rock and wood in the back third of the tank that allows for plenty of shelter.

5 months in I haven't lost any or had any injuries, I have a few fry/juvies of both species swimming around, and the routine of morning spirulina and arvo pellets/live food and weekly 25% water changes is proving to be just fine for these gorgeous little buggers.

The only change I made after the setup was to add a very small water pump called a Hydor Koralia Nano (intended for marine tanks) which provides a gentle circulation to the open areas of my tank in addition to that from my filter. The fish seem to love it and to come out from their rocks to 'play' in the current.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts