Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a jewel cichlid would be able to live in a tank that is home to 4 m. auratus, 1 lace cat, and 1 algae eater? Because of the aggressiveness of my goldens, I didn't think so, but I wanted to ask just to be sure. The tank at the moment is a 10 gallon but will be upgraded within the week. As far as I can see (because they are all still yellow, but still young) my goldens are all females.

·
Registered
50 Posts
what are you upgrading to?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The Jewel fish might be okay. This tank overall (provided with what you have said) will either be a total disaster or very boring. You need at the very minimum a 55g four foot long tank for the Auratus. You need more fish in the tank. You need a plan or a goal, for what you want.

The Auratus may mostly ignore the Jewel. Or they may beat it up. Or the Jewel fish may be up the Auratus. Aggression does not mean mindless killing, aggression has reasons. Jewel fish can be nasty too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. I appreciate the honesty. My plan is a 75 gallon that I should be going to pick up this weekend. I've been looking at lava rock....can any rocks I find go in the tank after cleaning? Something I read said limestone is good for auratus.....but I like the look of the lava rock. Any ideas are so much more than welcome. And thank you!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, sorry, I'd really like everyone's idea of what other fish would be good in this new tank. I like JD's....would that be something ok? And what is the favorite algae eater? I like larger fish, and lots of activity and colors. This is going to be my first large tank. I'm kind of nervous. :D But very excited.

·
Super Moderator
40,889 Posts
JDs are not likely to work well with mbuna. If you are going with auratus in a 75G I'd just do two species and I would have the other one be something aggressive like kenyi (Metriaclima lombardoi).

1m:7f of each to try to manage the aggression of one of THE most aggressive mbuna.

And I would remove the jewel.

If you like larger fish maybe lose the auratus and consider something other than mbuna?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts