Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased this Lwanda from a reputable vendor. I looks like it has a sunken stomach. It is very active and is eating like a champ. It shows no signs of being sick at all. I just received it last Friday (12/31). He looks great, other then his stomach. Sorry about the water spots on the tank, I took photos right after I put them in.

The parameters seem fine:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
PH 8 - 8.2
KH 8 - 9
GH 8 - 9
Temp 78

Thank you.

Lwanda

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
With a new fish you usually want to give it a few weeks to fill out before you start looking into treatments, especially if you've gotten them from a pet store. Nothing against any pet store but the fish may have been doing a lot of traveling before it got there with all kinds of varying water conditions and diet so it's not surprising that it's looking a little lean in the middle. Fish sometimes need to settle in to a place before they can get into serious eating. Plus fish are often shipped without too much feeding--that way the bag water doesn't get too foul.

If after a couple weeks of eating the fish still looks sunken then you definitely need to take action. It's usually either an internal parasite or internal bacterial disease. And again, don't blame the fish store. These sorts of ailments come about when a fish is under stress and the stress of being transported to the fish store and then netted and bagged and brought home with you is enough to make them sick.

Treatment: If the fish is eating first do a partial water change of 30% using a good quality dechlorinator and siphon the gravel. Then you can feed all the fish metronidazole soaked food for ten days. You can buy powdered met, dissolve it in water and soak the fish food you are presently using in it, or you can buy pre-made met-soaked food. The only problem with that is that some fish will balk at the different food and may not want to eat it.

Or if you don't want to mess with the medicated food at all or if your fish has stopped eating then treat the entire tank with Jungle Parasite Clear, or straight Metronidazole in the water.

Robin

I don't know how I'm going to forgive you for those water spots. :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robin,

Thank you for the advice. I will give it a couple weeks. :thumb:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK,

My Lwanda and a couple other fish still look like they have sunken stomach. All are eating fine and acting normal. I did buy some Seachem MetroPlex (metronidazole), When soaking pellets, what is the powder to water ratio? How long do you soak them. Thank you.

·
Registered
796 Posts
slyman17 said:
Hello,

I just purchased this Lwanda from a reputable vendor. I looks like it has a sunken stomach. It is very active and is eating like a champ. It shows no signs of being sick at all. I just received it last Friday (12/31). He looks great, other then his stomach. Sorry about the water spots on the tank, I took photos right after I put them in.

The parameters seem fine:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
PH 8 - 8.2
KH 8 - 9
GH 8 - 9
Temp 78

Thank you.

Lwanda
I lost mine like that. It started after I got some wild caught Lethrinops albus. Jungle Labs has a medicated fish food get the one for internal parasites. Your lfs can order it for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.