Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently bought a proper lunar moon lighting kit for my malawi tank. This mimics the lunar cycle and so goes through crescent/half and full moon effects to try and be as realistic as possible. Just wondered if this will in any way later there breeding habbits and whther it will increase the chances of them breeding?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
I am not aware of any research in this area, but I am sure I am not the only one who would be interesting to hear about your observations after you had the setup for a while.

Most people I talked to about this issue speculated that the lunar cycle would be most likely to have a direct influence on corals and other marine invertebrates that strongly depend on light. Most aquarium fish, including Malawi cichlids, don't even seem to care if the light over their tank comes on regularly, or if people only switch it on when they want to view the tank. I very much doubt that those fish would be influenced by the lunar cycle, but you never know.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm not sure about the lunar cycle having any effect on breeding, however I got a marineland led unit with a moonlight setting and my brevis shell dwellers started spawning right away. I personally think they just preferred the dimmer light

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.