Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to why my PH is as low as it is. My water out of the faucet is about an 8.2, in my aquarium it consistently measures at about a 6.6. My fish thrive, in fact, many of the fish I keep probably prefer the lower PH but I can't quite figure out why it is as low as it is.

I have a 220 Gallon Tank, I do have quite a bit of driftwood. I do 15% water changes every 2 weeks. 6.6 PH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 25 Nitrates.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
i vote drift wood as well. but i wouldn't do anything about it. as you said, your fish prefer those conditions and are doing well.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Actually, there are reasons to pay attention to KH. If it drops too low, pH can crash, and drop well below 6. The fish are good in that pH now, but will they be at 5 or even below?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That's always my concern, how the heck do I keep a ph around 6 without adding baking soda or some other KH raising material!

I was told to add acid buffer & alk buffer in certain amounts but man, that's tricky and I haven't gotten it right yet.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
That's why it's best to just try and run with your tap the way it is, if you can. If KH is sufficiently high in the tap, then water changes are all you need to keep things stable. The danger comes in when water changes get skipped, or there's something else in the tank consuming buffers.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
My KH is ZERO from tap. (house water filtration)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts