Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Last cycling question I promise! ;)

I've been adding pure ammonia for about 9 days now. The nitrites peaked at about 6 days and now read zero with the nitrates having a high reading of ~40ppm. Although way faster than I expected this would suggest the tank is cycled yeah?

The thing I don't understand is that I can't seems to completely zero the ammonia readings. I'm topping up the ammonia to about 2ppm each day but it never reaches zero when I test it at night, always ~0.25ppm. Maybe 2ppm is too much? Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The thing I don't understand is that I can't seems to completely zero the ammonia readings. I'm topping up the ammonia to about 2ppm each day but it never reaches zero when I test it at night, always ~0.25ppm. Maybe 2ppm is too much? Any ideas?
Wait 24 hours before testing. Sounds like you're adding and testing laster same day?

·
Registered
279 Posts
where did you buy your ammonia. i've been looking all over for some and i can not find any

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it was probably just a case of me adding too much ammonia and testing too early as suggested. Anyhow all good now and I have 6 happy yellow labs in there now. My first attempt at fishkeeping so hopefully it's all ok...

@DrTims - PH just under 8 so should be fine. We have fairly hard tap water here.

@masonv - It's hard to find isn't it! I bought mine from a wholesale chemical supplier in South Australia so probably not much use to you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts