Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short.

Little under a week ago I introduced 6 additional Cichlids to my community which had 10 already in it.

The original 10 have been in the tank for about 3 solid weeks and steady on all readings o - .25ppm Ammonia 0-.25ppm Nitrite

Now the new fish coming in has spike everything up. I can only imagine because of additional Food/Waste.

Today's reading
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 1.0ppm
PH 7.8

Is this normal for a newer tank? I've had fish in the tank for 3/4 weeks.

Tank info
120gal
FX6 Filter
Temp 76
Sand Substrate
Driftwood
River Rock

Please let me know recommendation for getting down the numbers, or is this just simply normal cycling of a newer tank

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Your tank was not completed cycled before you added the 6 fish and you know this because nitrite was 0.25ppm. It should be zero for several days before it is cycled.

Then you increased the bioload by 60% so the beneficial bacteria now has to increase by 60% overnight as well. Don't forget the fish create ammonia even if you don't feed them.

Change 50% any time the nitrite climbs over 0.5 ppm even if you have to do it daily.

Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Your tank was not completed cycled before you added the 6 fish and you know this because nitrite was 0.25ppm. It should be zero for several days before it is cycled.

Then you increased the bioload by 60% so the beneficial bacteria now has to increase by 60% overnight as well. Don't forget the fish create ammonia even if you don't feed them.

Change 50% any time the nitrite climbs over 0.5 ppm even if you have to do it daily.

Good luck!
I figured that's what happened, thank you for your time and help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts