Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

He was in an all Hap tank at my LFS. I saw his crooked mouth and immediately was in love with him. When I tapped the glass he came right up to me. I couldn't resist taking him home. He's been the best fish ever. He gets along with everyone, never shown aggression and when any other fish shows aggression he gets in the middle to deflect the aggressor. The LFS employee said he was a Red Empress but I know that's not it. He looks almost like a cross between an Iodotropheus Stuartgranti and Tropheus Moorii. Is he a hybrid or a disfigured version of some known breed?

Dan

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You should of named him twoface. :lol: . It's a cool looking fish.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I wonder what went wrong rather than what he might be. Surely you do not hope to breed from such a fish?
Some Labeotropheus in there plus no idea what went wrong. :wink:
I dought he has Tropheus blood in him those guys do not cross outside there genus as far as I know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like Louie!! No clue what he is, but my fiance would have brought him home too! Enjoy him, and don't listen to anyone who puts him down! If you like him that's all that matters! :)

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
24Tropheus said:
I wonder what went wrong rather than what he might be. Surely you do not hope to breed from such a fish?
Some Labeotropheus in there plus no idea what went wrong. :wink:
I dought he has Tropheus blood in him those guys do not cross outside there genus as far as I know.
Tropheus can cross with mbuna, I had a friend with a Tropheus x Melanochromis auratus hybrid... he raised them up... they were... ummm ugly and aggressive. :eek:

I think this is either a Labeotropheus, or a greshakei as mentioned... due to being deformed, it is impossible to say if it a pure of either, or a hybrid.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Louie is awesome! We just did the same thing, fell in love with a squished face maylandi. His little mouth is off to one side and his eyes are big. His blaze even curves off to the side! Total sweetheart. Our LFS gave him to us 'cos they know we're softies. We named him Mr. Magoo :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Interesting, i just picked up some Rostratus today, and one that appears to be a male has a similar deformity. Unsure what to do with it...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have 2 fish like this,a Yellow Tail Acei and a Yellow Lab. got them both from the same LFS but different times and didnt notice the lips until weeks later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.