Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it a few weeks, I've been monitoring agression and water parameters so closely but it seemed bound to happen. She looks pretty beat up, but I'm not sure if she lost a fight or got harvested afterwards. I am 90% sure this is one of my females, can anyone who is better at venting verify?

IMG_0270.jpg

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
How large are these fish, and which fish? Juveniles are less likely to kill each other, and juvenile females are harder to vent.

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
I think this is a recently set up tank so can you post the test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a new tank, I used some already cycled media when we set the tank up and the numbers were all good, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, about 20 nitrate and had 22 juvenile mbuna originally. Tank is 125g 72" long. My local LFS didn't have any fish and I didn't want to repeatedly pay $40 for overnight shipping so we didn't gradually add more, I ordered 30 additional juveniles for the tank, the ammonia is spiking a bit, around 1 and I'm doing daily or every other day 50% water changes and using API quick start to keep it as under control as I can. I get that I was both impatient and cheap and my carelessness is likely caused this fish to bite it.

I'm really just trying to keep track of my male/female ratios so that I can keep things in mind for agression control in the future. Again, based on what I see venting this fish i'm fairly certain its female, was just hoping someone who had more knowledge could confirm.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Males anus and vent hole will be the same size, female anus and vent holes will be different and you can honestly start doing this as young as 2".
While accuracy is better at larger sizes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So to me the vent hole looks slightly larger here, meaning its a female not male? Or are they not significantly different in size enough... still unsure based on your two posts

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
50 fish is alot for the first month. You have not said what fish you have other than mbuna, not sure why you think you have the fish sexed ID already, or if they are large enough to be close to maturity, depends on species. Continue with the frequent water changes. maybe more like 33%. I wouldn't depend on products like quick start after the initial set up.

You have a lot of small fish, can you tell if all are eating? The sign that a fish may be sick usually is that they lose their appetite. Watch for signs of bloat disease, which is very common. Look for 1 or 2 fish acting fatigued and not really eating anything.

The problem with aggression comes with sexual maturity, males fight with other males and females can be harassed for being mature but not having eggs to drop, but you have a larger tank and many small fish, so that shouldn 't be a big problem at this point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts