Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a peacock (~4.5") that I pulled out of my DT a month or so ago due to lack of appetite. I put him in his own 10g. He has not improved nor degraded over that time. This morning half of an eye is cloudy. I have some API General Cure but should I treat for fungal? I maintain the params of pH: 7.9-8.1, Nitrates: <10 and follow directions for freshwater salt concentrations.

Any advice?

TIA!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Follow up Q: can various API treatments be used concurrently? (General Cure, Fungal Cure, Erythromycin, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
It always works best to confirm the diagnosis and then use only the appropriate medication. I would contact the manufacturer about using multiple medications at the same time but if in doubt, assume no.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eventually found some info that indicated not to combine medications (makes sense). Not sure what is going on as I'm not seeing over symptoms other than the partially cloudy eye and clipped fins. Decided I'd dose one medication per instructions, monitor and subsequently dose the second medication a couple days after completing the first medication.

Kicker: get home from PetCo (no LFS within 30min of me) and a peacock from the DT is displaying swim bladder issues. Decided I'd put both fish in a quick epsom salt bath then treat with medication #1. I'm mostly throwing darts blindly and I don't like it.

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
Usually if nitrates are < 20ppm and have always been, cloudy eye is the result of an injury and the fish recovers very quickly with clean water without treatment. Like you can see improvement each day.

I have never had cloudy eye due to disease.

Clipped fins? As in injuries or clamped fins as in holding them close to the body?

Does the peacock eat when he is alone in a hospital tank?

Are the feces thick and food colored or thin/thready and white/clear?

·
Registered
503 Posts
DJRansome said:
...Usually if nitrates are < 20ppm and have always been, cloudy eye is the result of an injury...
That's at best half-true. The true part is that if water quality is chronically poor, opportunistic infections of many sorts can occur. The untrue part is that you don't need chronically poor water for systemic infections to occur. Your conclusion that this symptom is due to injury, based on nitrate concentrations, is unwarranted.

DJRansome said:
...I have never had cloudy eye due to disease...
Lucky you, although I don't see how you could possibly know that with any degree of certainty.

DJRansome said:
...It always works best to confirm the diagnosis and then use only the appropriate medication...
Well, at least we agree on this one.

Given the fact that the fish displays other symptoms, I would guess that this is a systemic infection of some sort, and would treat with a general anti-parasitic agent like SeaChem ParaGuard. If there was no immediate improvement, I would try a broad-spectrum antibiotic. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts