Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping that you might be willing to help me. I have recently (for Christmas) acquired a 75 gallon cichlid tank. I knew I had wanted cichlids, and the gentleman who sold me the tank had 20 Julidochromis Marlieris and a med sized pleco to add to the purchase. My largest 4 fish (sans the pleco) are only 3.5 inches.

My tank dimensions are 48L x 21D x 18W

What do you think would be a good addition? I am interested in the calvus, but how many should I get, and what about other fish too? I would love any feedback that you could offer.

Thank you,
Jessica

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
I was actually thinking 20 would never survive. Tangs are pairing fish and once a pair forms and spawns they defend a territory surrounding the fry, often killing other juli's.

In my 72" tank I stocked six and even though they have spawned and fry have survived, I would still say I don't have more than 3 pairs in my tank. There have been adult deaths and usually there is at least one adult being driven from the tank (lurking at the surface in corners).

Common plecos get very large and may not add much to the tank except bioload. :( If it is a bristlenose pleco then that is a great addition for algae control.

Three or four species should work in a 75G. Choose one for each habitat: sand, rocks, open water. For example, 6 shellies like Lamprologus multifasciatus for the sand. Cyprochromis leptosoma utinta for the open water, they like groups of 12 or larger. And both a pair of juli's and a pair or harem of calvus should be able to share the rocks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for thinning the herd, yes indeed. I am heading to the fish store this weekend, and he is willing to trade with me. At some point, there must be a pair or two, because I have about 4 1 inch fish and the rest are 1.5 - 3.5.

I had read about the cyprichromis being an open water fish, and good with the julies. I am excited for that. I thank you all for your replies. I will keep you posted to to how I proceed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts