·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
125 Gallon Tank

-1 Oscar (2-3")
-1 Gold Severum (1.5")
-6 Silver Dollars (Not Purchased Yet)
-1 Senegal Bichir (Purchasing Very soon)

I know I have a little more room for a fish. (If you could find me some other dithers, let me know :p ) I would like smaller dithers, but that is not very possible. But my focus now, is another cichlid.

Convicts are always on my list! I have had great experiences with them :)

I have never raised Firemouths, but I guess I am open to trying one out?

I am not doing Severums. And I sold my Jack Dempsey yesterday, because I wanted to make some money, and didn't want the Dempsey when I posted my Craigslist ad, but I saw how awesome of a fish it was in the last two weeks :( now I feel bad

Green Terrors seem to get a little big for my tank, as well as Geophagus.

So what would you guys suggest? And I am going to over-filtrate this tank, so don't worry!

OH YA! and one last thought, would be an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. I have done my fair share of research on them, and have learned that they usually stay a LITTLE smaller than the normal ones, and are a little less aggressive.

Thanks for reading the whole thing! :D Just FYI, I am not a newbie to the cichlid keeping hobby. I am, however, young (17). 12 out of my 17 years of life, I have kept fish. haha I know a 2 or thing about aggression, so I do not need an E-Lecture on cichlid aggression

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Blue acaras would my first choice, or another smaller species from the Andinoacara genus, or a true acara species from the Aequidens genus such as metae or even a Port acara.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, like always, I've changed my mind :p I do not want Silver Dollars, because I do not like the idea of dither fish. I am leaning more towards cichlids only for my tank (with the exception of the Bichir). I almost grabbed another Oscar while at the store today :/ that would be interesting, and a little overstocked.

Acara's are a rarity out here, and until I get a debit card, I am not ordering fish :/ so no Acara's for me now :( I would love to try one! But maybe at a later time.

The closest I have to Acaras, are Green Terrors. I have considered them a lot now, because they would look great with the Orange hues on my Oscar. Plus I heard they are a little less aggressive than lots of cichlids (like the Red Devil, Midas, Ect...), and I heard they stay a little smaller too (anywhere from 8"-12") so I think they are definitely a possiblity. In that case, I might eliminate the Bichir, and get a Firemouth and Convict as Target fish. Hmm I am pushing the stocking limit a little, but with this Overcrowding, the tank would be a little less aggressive. I would overfilter the tank, and give the fish, lots and lots of caves. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, I will let my bichir get a reasonable size before I add it with my 3" oscar. Actually the Bichir at my LFS is about 3.5"...maybe I could get away with taht!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts