Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of the way my house is designed, my R/O water container is about 40 feet from my aquarium. I can't move it close to the aquarium because there is one step up and then one step down to get from A to B, and I'm not going to build ramps to try to push a barrel of water up and down. So I'm left with moving the water by pump (Danner 250 gph pond pump):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B ... UTF8&psc=1

I've got a 3/4" inlet fitting and 3/4" ID tubing that will go the full 40 feet from A to B. My plan is to keep the pump in the living room close to the aquarium, since then it will be pulling that distance rather than pushing that distance. It will only have to push water the last 4 feet or so into the tank.

I bought an inline rocker switch to install into the pump cord so I can switch it on and off without having to pull the plug. I've got a check valve for the inlet line. I've got ball valves that I can install in either or both pipes.

Just looking for any ideas. I've done a trial run, and I have to suck mightily on the outflow to prime 40' of 3/4" tubing. Wondering if there's a better way to do that??

Thanks for any thoughts.

B

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would get a submersible pump and put it in the RO container. Then get a hose valve for the aquarium end. No need for a switch and no priming required. I use that setup for water changes and it works pretty good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I figured that out. The pump isn't up to sucking water that far. I had to re-design the system, but I've got it working now. Did my first water change today and only managed to spill about half a gallon :)

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
That pump doesn't pull water at all, regardless of distance. It only pushes. But it is fully submersible and perfect for use just like Wiz-Waterboy suggested. Love those Danner pumps. Very reliable and virtually indestructible. I used two for filtration in a 240G for many years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.