Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into setting up an aquarium in a bedroom. I'd like it to be fairly easy to maintain and by that I mean water changes and feeding etc will be enough. Not having to constantly remove males and add females etc.

I'd like to keep the tank to the smaller side and I was thinking of buying one of the reptile tanks at the local chain pet store. Dimensions being 36x18x16 , I feel like this would be a good size although not being 4 feet, because of the 18inch depth for one species of dwarf mbuna or whatever I decide to stock. However I'd like to be certain, I'm not really interested in forcing something to work with this so I'd like some opinions on what would definitely work in that tank at adult size (without much hard work sifting through males etc). So far my only thoughts have been a small group of saulosi, not exactly sure of the ratios, or looking into perhaps cyno afra species instead. I would love some thoughts on this though, also willing to look into tang or vic species.

Finally my last thing I'd like some opinions on is filtration. I'm looking for a reasonably priced quiet filter. Whether it be canister or HOB. Personally I was leaning more towards a cannister filter, as my experience with HOB's has been that they are very loud, and being that the tank will be in a bedroom I would much prefer it be as quiet as possible. I have heard aquaclear HOB's are very quiet though, any thoughts? Also if I was to get a cannister filter what would be a good buy for this size tank? I don't plan on overstocking too heavily or anything.

Basic summary for those not interested in reading all of this :p

36x18x16 tank big enough to house a small group of mbuna without any problems? or should I look at other species?

What's a quiet affordable filter (HOBs / Cannisters) that would work well for that size tank and a small group of mbuna or whatever.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The answer to your first question isn't Demasoni LOL like your avatar by the way and since its a demasoni I assume that is your reason for a different species that requires less attention. Truthfully I won't answer that question as my experience is limited with the vast varities that I have yet to keep.

But reference your second question, I use several canister filters and they are very quiet. I have an FX5 on a 135 that I can't even hear and the tank is overstocked by most peoples opinion yet I do a water change every 4-5 weeks and clean the filter 2-3 times a year and my water quality is great. So you get quite and relatively maintenance free providing you get the right canister filter,

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Unsubstantiated, but something to check out. I've read reptile tanks are made of thinner glass...makes sense if they don't have to support the weight of water.

Canister definitely, I like the Rena Filstar XP series, they come in lots of sizes.

What about a species tank of brichardi?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I can vouch for saulosi in that tank since it's exactly what I have. Very colourful and very active.

3m/8f although I could easily fit 2 or 3 more females in mine.

Definitely go with a canister in the bedroom. I have a Fluval 105, 405 and Eheim 2213 on various tanks and like them all.

kevin

P.S. but if I already had a demasoni/caeruleus tank I'd go for Tanganyikan! How much blue/yellow do you need?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gmaschke said:
The answer to your first question isn't Demasoni LOL like your avatar by the way and since its a demasoni I assume that is your reason for a different species that requires less attention. Truthfully I won't answer that question as my experience is limited with the vast varities that I have yet to keep.

But reference your second question, I use several canister filters and they are very quiet. I have an FX5 on a 135 that I can't even hear and the tank is overstocked by most peoples opinion yet I do a water change every 4-5 weeks and clean the filter 2-3 times a year and my water quality is great. So you get quite and relatively maintenance free providing you get the right canister filter,
haha yea that's a dem from my first tank definitely wouldn't consider them low maintenance :p.

I do love the idea of going with a canister filter over a HOB from what I've heard they are more expensive but also much more worth it.

That's a good point that I haven't thought of DJ, I'll most definitely look into that before purchasing any tanks, otherwise I could have a big problem haha.

Brichardi did interest me, but I heard they were really difficult to maintain as far as water parameters or something? Coulda sworn I remembered seeing a bunch of people posting about having problems with them. If not I do actually know for a fact my LFS has a bunch of them in stock and I happen to have a bunch of fish credit there as well so that could be a very good option.

ridley25 said:
P.S. but if I already had a demasoni/caeruleus tank I'd go for Tanganyikan! How much blue/yellow do you need?
I no longer have that tank setup, I actually sold off all my dems a few months ago because I've just been too busy to maintain it. But a good point, another tank of saulosi would be pretty close to the same thing I previously had.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My 40Br are that size and the Multie/Julie tank is now zero maintenance other than pulling out fry and giving them away now and again.

The initial Julie pairing happened in a 75 and can be a violent process, but after you have a pair - they generally bond for life.

The other 40Br has 8 - Hap 'Ruby' Juvies, the choice being specifically for a smaller peaceful cichlid that I hadn't tried before.

Both tanks have black backs and silica #20 sand with Rena XP2 Canisters with a Rena Smart Heater so the tube in the tank disappears.

Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
The problems with brichardi come when you try to combine them with other species. There is a little work to do to get the founding pair of your dynasty (buy six, remove rejects). But once they are the sole adults in the tank they fill the tank with fry which are tolerated and pretty much self-regulate once the tank is at capacity.

Ooooh, yes, a species tank for Victorians. Christmas Fulu or Ruby Greens.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What DJ said is true. Reptile tanks are thinner and wont hold water for long. If you add rocks (they may tilt or fall) forget it. If you want to save money go on craigslist. Some good deals there. Other wise you may wake up to a ten second water fall when the front or back burst out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yeah, no luck here in Ohio on Craigslist, bunch of people trying to sell 75 gallon tanks as 150 gallon ones for $300 and up... finally broke down and went to local store to buy the 150 gallon...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts