Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up 55/40L dual set up for next to nothing (150 for both tanks, the stand that holds both tanks, Rena xp3, fluval 204, three lights, 4 heaters, 2 power heads, 100lb of rock, 150ish lb of gravel, a tub of plants and other decorations, nice siphon, food, chems, medicine, filter media, 5 air pumps, etc etc. all of it less than 2 years old) and I am looking to start two tanks: Mbuna in the 40L and a light stock hap/peacock in the 55.

In both tanks I would really like an all blue cichlid. For Mbuna I was looking at the cobalt blue, and with the hap/peacock I was looking at the electric blue and the blue peacock.

I would prefer it to be a completely blue, I want to be as close to solid as possible. Please give me all of your suggestions, preferably with a link. Scientific and common names wanted. Thanks!

·
Registered
554 Posts
The cobalt blue mbuna, metriaclima callainos, is marvelous. I have them, I love them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I really like them too. The decision would be a no brainer if they were a few shades darker and closer to a royal blue.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
To be honest, you are likely going to find that a 40 gallon tank is going to be too small unless it is a species only tank, with quite a few females (6-7), when it comes to M. callainos.

As far as an all Blue Hap, I'd go with either a Copadichromis azureus, or Aulonocara stuartgranti "Cobwe".

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as the one species is either monomorphic and absolutely beautiful or dimorphic with two equally attractive sexes I would be completely fine with a single species tank.

Any suggestions for a single species? Saulosi? Demansoni?

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Saulosi...

I wouldn't tempt fate with Demasoni & only a 36" tank...

The male saulosi will be a close proximation of demasoni anyway.

Another to consider is met.msobo/membe. The main concern with them would be their size as adults.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's 48", it's a 40 Long. But I think I like Saulosi more anyways.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Powder Blue Socolofi or Cobalt, I have the powder blues now, they are nice and have had the cobalts before.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
JoelRHale

OHHH.. ok .. I thought it was a 40 breeder.

Yeah - Saulosi is probably best. Msobo/Membe is also dooable in a 48" tank.

I think having only Demasoni would be bland.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A Google of Membe gave me nothing. Is that the same as Msobo?

Also are you suggesting keeping Saulosi and Msobo together? Wouldn't they fight due to similarities in the males?

I am seasoned with Aquaria but have only kept a total of 4 cichlids, only one of those being an African (a yellow lab). I will be the first to admit I have absolutely no idea how to stock for long term success.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
JoelRHale said:
A Google of Membe gave me nothing. Is that the same as Msobo?

Also are you suggesting keeping Saulosi and Msobo together? Wouldn't they fight due to similarities in the males?

I am seasoned with Aquaria but have only kept a total of 4 cichlids, only one of those being an African (a yellow lab). I will be the first to admit I have absolutely no idea how to stock for long term success.
Metriaclima sp. 'membe deep'
40 long could do 3 species, about 5 each, max 5". You're only 4" shorter than a 55g.
I wouldn't house anything super or more than mildly aggressive. Nothing you'd have to stock 6+ females for. Labidochromis caeruleus, Iodotropheus sprengerae, cynotilapia afra perhaps?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could I tweak that to be Pseudotropheus zebra, Labidochromis sp. Hongi, and a more yellow/blue Afra or perhaps an Acei?

I'd like to avoid caeruleus if I can. I really like them, but I'd lean more towards a dimorphic species with a yellow female like Saulosi or other similar fish to get added color without overstocking my tank.

I really appreciate your input, and I am trying really hard to learn and understand all of the subtleties with stocking.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
No... As a single species...

Sorry that I didn't clarify that Met. 'Msobo' & Met. 'Membe Deep' are two separate species. They are very similar...

Could I tweak that to be Pseudotropheus zebra, Labidochromis sp. Hongi, and a more yellow/blue Afra or perhaps an Acei?
You could do a 2 species set up of Saulosi & Cynotilapia 'Hara'. That would give you a blue/black male & yellow female saulosi. The Hara would be a light powder blue male (when in breeding dress) & a darker blue female.

That will be plenty for a 40. In temperment, Acei would "work" but they get awfully big. It would be very cramped to say the least.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about Saulosi and the rusties or hongi? Will that combo play nice? That would give me blue/black, yellow, and purple/orange.

I am trying to go into Malawi with an open, unbiased mind but I feel like I will end up with my 75, 55, and 40L all as Mbuna! :D

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Rusties would work...

Sorry but I don't have any experience with Lab Hongi...

Are Mbuna in your 75 & 55 right now? If not & going all mbuna in all 3 - you have a ton of options overall.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's where we stand: I am graduating college next Saturday and will be taking a year off before going to law school because I am burnt out and need a break. And since it's a 3 year school it's not like I'm hurting myself and every lawyer I know advised me to.

Right now at my home I have a 75 running incredibly light with 2 12" pacus with homes lined up when they start getting rowdy/aggressive/too big. Theres also a pink convict, a texas cichlid, Colombian shark, pleo, and bumble catfish.

My gf has the 55 that I picked up recently and we moved her set up to that. She just has two johanni's (male and female), red zebra, an ice blue zebra, and a pictus catfish.

The 40L was thoroughly cleaned along with all the filters and such and is sitting empty under the 55 holding the canister incase I was sold a lemon (trust no one on craigslist blindly).

Once I am at law school and have an apartment and am living on my own all three tanks or just the 55/40L will come with me and that's when I plan on seriously getting into it. They say you should practice law in the state you live so moving fish from apartment to house after law school graduation won't be an issue.

Sorry for the long answer but the TL:DR is- there are some mbuna but will likely been sold before seriously diving in as I want to start with WC or F1's. Consider me a blank slate.
Liv

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
If committed to converting all three tanks to Mbuna, I would find the 9 species that I was most interested in & divide them amongst the 3 tanks...

4 groups in the 75
3 groups in the 55
& 2 groups in the 40 long.

I would also keep any dwarf species I had in mind in the 40. (Demasoni, Saulosi, etc)

Could be a really cool setup & the possibilities/combination's are numerous...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts