Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to replace an Aqueon 200w Pro submersible that is 7 years old. The indicator light is starting to flicker from green and red when it goes on, still holding temperature but I’d like to get a new one before it gets stuck on or off.

Besides getting the same pro model, online reviews are mixed, does anyone have a recommendation for a better one?

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Are you using a canister filter for your aquarium? If so, I totally recommend converting over to an in-line electric heater.
  • MUCH better heating efficiency ($$$)
  • Removes a wonky-looking piece of electric-wired piece of technology from inside the aquarium (installed out of sight with the canister filter).

·
Super Moderator
2,022 Posts
I've only used the Eheim Ebo Jager submersible heaters in the aquarium or the Hydor ETH external inline heater on the canister filter and both worked just fine for me though I haven't bought new heaters in over 5 years.

I see that there is an Eheim Thermocontrol-E Submersible heater available, don't know how new they are, and they have a similar design but have a red 'off' and green 'temperature reached' lights.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I only use Ehem Jagers with the exception of one fluval M serioes 150 thats the longest lived heater I own

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the replys, got an Eheim Jager 150w a few days ago. After tinkering a little it’s holding steady at 78. I’ll need to reset the red calibration dial but not worried about that right now. Only thing I don’t like is that it’s more noticeable than my old Aqueon which was all black. Once I move it to the other side of the tank I hope it is not that bad.

·
Super Moderator
2,022 Posts
Double check your thermometer first, especially if using one of those stick on types. I use a kitchen probe type digital thermometer to double check tank temps and some members use the infrared thermometers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I have a good digital thermometer and the heater has been running a few days now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Eheim Thermo Control E , the new kind whose light is green or red and It also has only one temperature dial instead of two. Otherwise I too think it identical to the Ebo Jagger. 300 watt. They make a 400 watt but that particular one only runs on 220 volts, the other wattages can run either 110 or 220. I like that the Eheims all are very long with the resistance wire windings not all bunched close together. A very good conservative design. The only Eheim to go bad here was my error (removing without unplugging first).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts