Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a few of these guys, hoping i got a 1:2 female, but at about 1.5 inches, way too small for me to tell. the picture quality is horrible, but it was the best i could do with my phone

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... hid004.jpg

its washed out in the pic, but theyre a yellow color, with brown bands. im sure its a yellow or orange, but id love some input as to which of the two.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I believe "orange" and "yellow" are trade names for the same fish so I guess you got 2 for one :thumb:

Sometimes different collection points produce different color strains but would be impossible to tell for certain. Nice fish nonetheless.

·
Registered
173 Posts
At what age do they begin to show the more intense yellow coloration?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
typically with all Altos the older they get the darker they get. So, as juvis they're simply lighter, not necessarily more or less yellow. Case in point, "Black Pectoral Calvus" don't develop the black pectorals until they are about 3 years old.

So the older the yellower and then in the twilight of there lives they may begin to look a bit dusky as they continue to darken. Even White Calvus do this over time. HTH :thumb:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, im figuring i wont know exactly what they are. the main fish guy at the place wasnt too sure. they have some amazing brick reds, again unsure of the type. these guys are around 3.5 to 4 inches. 40 each.. :eek:

·
Registered
173 Posts
BioG - kind of like me! :zz:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts