Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I recently got into cichlids, and have a spare 29-gallon aquarium. I was mostly a freshwater community tank keeper for about 4 years but never kept a cichlid. I wanted to try cichlids because I realized how beautiful they are!

I am not interested in dwarf cichlids, I am looking for something a bit larger. I know I am a bit limited because my tank is pretty small (30 x 12 x 18) and there's not much "turning" area as it is only 12 inches front to back. I wish to keep 1 cichlid alone in this tank. :fish:

The tank will be a bare bottom aquarium for the sake of easy maintenance. :dancing: It has a HOB filter (Aquaclear 70) that has a turnover rate of 300 gallons per hour. It has a lid and a light. No heater though.

So, I've been thinking maybe one fire mouth cichlid. Correct me if it is too large for the tank. Are there any other types of cichlids I can keep single in my 29? :-? I thought of one convict but I do not really like the color, I want something colorful, like a fire mouth.

Thanks in advance to any who give me suggestions! :D

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

Hopefully some of our Members will chime in with suggestions for a single colorful cichlid you can keep in your 30" tank.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi Fishyfriend, while I guess you could keep a single Firemouth in a 29 gallon i think you may end up a little disappointed. IME, single specimens are very shy and will hide most of the time. I would recommend some dither fish to make them less nervous. If you aren't concerned about having a biotope aquarium, I would recommend a group of five Giant Danios. The firemouth should be provided with some rocks and roots to hide among so it feels safe as well. The other concern is you aren't going to see the brilliant red coloration that has likely drawn you to them without the presence of other firemouths. I personally think a 29 is a bit small for a full grown firemouth and that a 30 gallon or a 40 breeder would be even better. Perhaps, you would be interested in a pair of Jewel Cichlids instead? Depending on which species you get, the colors are brilliant when they are breeding and they stay a little smaller than Firemouths. I would suggest the same type of setup along with the Giant Danios for them. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts