Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious to know the outcome of people's DIY BGs after a few years in their tank? I had one in my 20 and 55, but after a couple years, the styrofoam deteriorated enough to lose grip of the silicone, sending the BGs floating to the top. The silicone is still secured tightly to the back of my tanks, it was the corrosion of the styro around where the silicone bonded to it that I had problems. I was curious if other people's BGs have held up better over time. Not a few weeks or months, but years. I wanted to try and figure out what I did wrong with mine, or what I could do differently to make them last longer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I made a background in June 2008 and it is still holding strong. Algae has covered up the color that was on it but it still looks good.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... b00f574518

I made another one about a year ago for a different tank and thought I used more silicone but two pieces have pulled away from the back of the tank. Through some good fortune (wish I could say it was good design!) the pieces pretty much remained in place!!

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... 6&start=30

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone used rare earth magnets to help hold a background in place? Are there any chemistry problems with trying it?

I am also anxious to hear from other who hae fone backgrounds that have not broken down what you have done.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mine has only been in the tank for a year but all is well. I used white styro sheets with Drylock. Applied 10 tubes of silicone during install on a 7ft 220g. tank.
I know another CF member named MightyEvil used RE magnets to install a BG on what I believe was a 55g acrylic tank. He siliconed them into the back of the BG to prevent rust from forming on the magnets. It worked but the magnets were quite expensive and he has since gone back to using silicone.

·
Registered
410 Posts
18 months and still holding strong. I also used the Drylok method heck I think I was the first. Check it out-- (my way to hide overflow towers) Good Luck!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Yeah, my tank was a 110 gallon acrylic with almost .5" thickness all around. The magnets were not worth the money for this type of application. I am sure it would have been different if the tank material would have been thinner. In the end it held fine but nothing like silicone for me!

·
Registered
13 Posts
mightyevil said:
Yeah, my tank was a 110 gallon acrylic with almost .5" thickness all around. The magnets were not worth the money for this type of application. I am sure it would have been different if the tank material would have been thinner. In the end it held fine but nothing like silicone for me!
Thanks - I appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
220 Posts
R-DUB said:
I also used the Drylok method heck I think I was the first. Check it out-- (my way to hide overflow towers)
Do you have pics? I'm contemplating the BG for my 110 and haven't decided/figured out how to hide the equipment

1 - 8 of 8 Posts