Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was cleaning my tank, removing all the rocks and driftwood to re-arrange a few things and get a good cleaning and look what I found hidden behind one of the rocks.. This is the first time I have ever seen a fry in my tank or from any of my fish. I know I had a holding Cherry Red female.. I'm wondering how many she spit in the tank but this is the only one that has survived if there was more than just one.. There could have only been one as the Cherry Red that was holding was really small, im surpised she even was holding to begin with.. let's just say I was shocked to see this thing come swimming out.. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That's all that will normally survive if you let them spit in the tank, if any. You would be surprised how many fry a small mother can produce. I have a 2.5" Victorian who produced 53 fry in one clutch.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RRasco said:
That's all that will normally survive if you let them spit in the tank, if any. You would be surprised how many fry a small mother can produce. I have a 2.5" Victorian who produced 53 fry in one clutch.
Wow that's crazy, my cherry red is only maybe 1.75 " she is SMALL and skinny, probably from holding. I have 4 total females in there, the others are about 2" but it figures the smallest one has been the only holder so far :lol:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I found the same thing, a single red zebra fry from a holding mom.

Somehow an F2 Kanchedza fry also escaped mom. I pulled her out and stripped her myself - had her in another tank and found the fry in there before putting her back.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've never seen a RZ fry but that fry looks pretty yellow to me.. I would be concerned since you have yellow labs and red zebras in your tank, just something to keep in mind :thumb:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bmweiler09 said:
I've never seen a RZ fry but that fry looks pretty yellow to me.. I would be concerned since you have yellow labs and red zebras in your tank, just something to keep in mind :thumb:
I think its the camera, your right it does look yellow but in person its pretty orange.. :D Also my ratio of m/f of each specie should help reduce the chance of cross breading BUT you never know. :popcorn:

G

·
i jus recently got 35 fry from my lethrinops sp nyassae it wasnt her first time holding.. but it was my first time getting fry other than from convicts who do it all too well on their own

1 - 9 of 9 Posts