Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A baby fish :lol: Was doing a full tank strip and clean in the 75g community.

By its age, I think it is a Male HRP x Female Con hybrid. Not sure how it survived without being eaten. I removed it and put it in with some small Apistos.

Survival of the fittest (smartest)

720p Video

....Bill

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi MonteSS,

Funny what you can find in a tank with breeding fish. In my overstocked yellow lab tank (1 male 10 female) there is constantly breeding but i never suspect fry to survive; but everyone in a while during feeding you will see a little guy emerge from the fake plants. In addition, the other day i noticed there was juvie male besides the one adult male, either he was pretending to be a female for a while or he was one of the few fry who survived and i never noticed.

Those thick bushy fake plants defiantly provided the fry refuge.

Nice video clarity.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL. Found another baby swimming around today. And this one is even bigger at about 3/4".

Here is a shot of the tank so you can see all the hiding spots and how easy it is to miss.

Mom and dad hang out in the big hollow log that cant be seen into very well. They could have been hiding in there.

Dad F1 HRP is peeking his head out and mom Con is guarding a very small clutch of new youngins. Mom is about 2 years old and a beautiful chunky girl. She recently killed his normal female HRP mate . Love triangles are a ***** I guess.

....Bill

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, here are the three hybrids that somehow survived. The largest and belived to be male is over 1". The other two have gold on the belly so I am guessing female and are a little smaller.

They getting some blue. The mom HRP I had, had slight gold on her side and the femalr Con has typical orange. So now I am not sure who the mother is. I will still call them hybrids and grow them out to see how they look.

Sorry they wont sit still especially when eating

....Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts