·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank is a 48" 75 g

Current stock

1m 4f Yellow Labs
1m 4f Red Zebras
1m 4f White Top Hara (Just ordered these)

Looking for a 4th, any ideas?

I was thinking maybe cobalts or saulosi? Maybe Red Top Hongi or not good to mix two labs? I would like something that stands out..

Any recommendations would be helpful.. Thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
466 Posts
You could get almost any mbuna species, as long as they aren't similar to any of the ones you picked out. The Yellow Labs and Red Zebras will most likely cross breed, so don't keep any fry from either of the two species.

P. Acei is a nice fish, good color I have a few of these.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea im not keeping any fry one of the red zebras is actually holding now.. ill let nature takes it's course. So red top may not be good because I'm already running the yellow labs?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
You will want to avoid Labidochromis, Metriaclima and Cynotilapia when choosing your fourth species.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What other options do i have? I have given up on Demasoni, i have tried 3 times and my current stock of 12 wiped itself out, only one was left today.. I've had horrible luck with them in my 55.. so that's it for trying to run them again :lol: The Acei i've run before and they look really good i'm just concerned they will get too big. My LFS actually has some White Top Acei, they look pretty cool.. Maybe i will consider that again.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Rusty, Melanochromis Johanni, Labeo Trewavasae/Fuellborni, Socolofi. Possibly Psuedo Saulosi...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Johanni, maybe i can do that as well I used to have them back in the day.. Not a bad looking fish..

·
Registered
485 Posts
Did you mean Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Ngara) ? They'd be ok in a 75g. For some blue in there, you could try met. sp. dolphin(aka giant demasoni) or even better; some Mel./Ps.(which ever they're classified now) Cyaneorhadbos(Maingano).

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Johanni, maybe i can do that as well I used to have them back in the day.. Not a bad looking fish
And easy to sex...

If it were me - that is what I would do... Or the Saulosi

They would give you some yellow-orange in the females + a blue black male.. i would think it would accent the other 3 well... But that is just me..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes, the Ngara, my LFS had I think 4 or 5 of them left. First time i've seen them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yes, some blue would be a nice contrast to the yellow & orange.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
If you like the blue stripes see if you can get Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Maingano) instead of johannii. Less aggressive.

But still Melanochromis, so try to end up with 1m:7f.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do you sex the Johanni and or Maingano? they all look the same to me as Juvies.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The johannii are born yellow/orange. As juvies & growing on the males will start to get blue color. The maingano are monomorphic(males & females born blue), which makes it a little more difficult to sex as juvies. As they mature it becomes clear who the males are, although the only 100% way to sex these is by venting. Mainganos would look good since you have the yellow/orange covered. IME with both the maingano & johannii, I'd say the maingano are equally aggressive; but it is manageable with enough space & females. At the risk of being shot down in flames here, I think the maingano would have the same reputation as johannii & auratus if they had been common in the hobby since the 1970s.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my LFS has a lot of Maingano's for $9 bucks each, not bad.. Ill probably pickup a few tomorrow.

·
Registered
485 Posts
pick up as many as you can to increase your chance of getting females & end up with a 1m/5+ f ratio.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My LFS had 50% of today, great deal.. I got them for $4.99 each.. I got one dominant male for sure and the other 6 i got we tried to base it off of color, face and fins.. They all looked like females but we'll see how it pans out.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
*** been looking up a bunch of pics of Female Maingano's and I think i may have gotten really lucky.. All my Mainganos minus the Alpha Male look exactly like every female picture i have found.. So if that turns out to be the case i have 1m 6f right now.. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts