Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Greetings from central Europe.

I currently am looking after a Male I believe Livingstonii - Nimbochromis, we bought it from a local pet store right here in central Europe, a good pet store with aquatic centre. At first I purchased two of these species, it did askt he member of staff in the pet store, if he could kindly look out for a male and female by selection on purchase. However on returning home and keeping these fish, at first they where in a semi planted tank with 2 x lava fern plants. However it turned ou that one of them took a lot longer to grow and seemed to be a bit poorly or a runt fish. Over a period of 12 weeks the bigger male ( I thought they where likely both males) kept on hassling the smaller fish and bullying it. THings got so bad, that the bigger fish in the end rammed the smaller fish so hard on a very agressive attack and put the smaller fish on its side barely alive , at which point I had no option but to put and end to it quickly sadly. I would appreciate it very much if someone could point me in a way of direction on how to get another tank mate prefer female , or will this fish be only to be kept alone, and if it is advised to get another tank mate in 150 litre , biggest eheim filter, heater 50w. \We are a bit stuck, I have kept fish before , even marine, and freshwater but im really stuck to decide on any kind of tank mate rather than a pleco.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

I don't think a 150 liter tank is big enough for even one Livingstonii, how long is the tank? Malawi like Livingstonii do better in a harem group as with only one female the male is likely to kill her.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Your tank in too small for the Livingstoni alone, tank mates would be out of the question. I've kept all nimbo species, except fusco, and have learned that while not always aggressive, they can be very boisterous and pushy to others.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
These cichlids need to be kept in groups in a large tank, you cannot keep them in pairs in a small tank, because one fish ends up beating up the other fish. You need more than 10 fish in a tank about 2 meters long. You would have to keep the fish alone in a tank that size, and the fish will probably not even be attractive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts