Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, was wondering what the word was on keeping an Oscar with loaches and how well that worked for people.

Have always wanted an O, but I love my yoyo and clown loaches :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think most loaches have a deffense to Oscars that make it nearly impossible to go down their throut if they are about the same size. There is a down fall.. Sometimes Oscars attack the Loaches untill they remove them from the face of their tank.

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
My Oscar seemed fine with a herd of 9 clown loaches kept with him in a 125 gallon tank. Some were definitely small enough for him to eat, but I never saw him try.
Maybe he had a go at one of them, and didn't care much for those nasty little eye barbs? :?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think it really depends. I had an Oscar and a Clown Loach that got along very well (as good as could be between the two of them), and then one day I woke up and he was missing. I think it depends a lot on the personality of the fish. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have 6 clowns with my oscar in a 90 gallon. He kinda herds them... I say herd because his/her mouth is never open when the O is poking its face at them.

-matt

·
Registered
105 Posts
i know from friends and reading around that the of course they must be bigger then the mouth of the Oscar and i would say five or more so they stay together

1 - 7 of 7 Posts