Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i just added 2 live plants to my 300 gallon (210 display tank & 100 gallon sump) setup. My substrate is pool filter sand. Do i need any additives for these? Is a co2 reactor necessary? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Need a lot more info. What type of plants, lighting, etc. I have giant anubia which is tied to driftwood and is outgrowing my 150 gallon tank growing under LEDs. This is a low maintenance plant, like Java fern. Other plants need more intense lighting and co2. You could also put plants in pots with the proper substrate.

·
Registered
216 Posts
mambee said:
Need a lot more info. What type of plants, lighting, etc. I have giant anubia which is tied to driftwood and is outgrowing my 150 gallon tank growing under LEDs. This is a low maintenance plant, like Java fern. Other plants need more intense lighting and co2. You could also put plants in pots with the proper substrate.
How is the algae with the giant anbuia? I would like some plants to keep the nitrates down, but at the same time really don't want to introduce any plants in fear of a big hair algae outbreak...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I don't have any issues with hair algae. Is there a correlation between live plants and hair algae?

Anubias are pretty slow growing so I'm not sure if they will have an impact on nitrates, unless you have a ton of them, which I do. Floating plants are supposed to work best as they can draw unlimited co2 from the air. Duckweed can be a PITA, but it is supposedly very good at reducing nitrates. I flush a cupload every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Not sure how good the BW lights are for plants. I use Finnex brand and they work fine. Years ago, I grew Amazon swords in pots with natural kitty litter (clay) and they grew very well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
CreeksideBrewery said:
Hello, i just added 2 live plants to my 300 gallon (210 display tank & 100 gallon sump) setup. My substrate is pool filter sand. Do i need any additives for these? Is a co2 reactor necessary? Thanks.
There are nutrient products for aquariums available but depending on the type african cichlids you have, it might not be worth it. It seems my fish live to destroy any plant I put in with them, or they eat them.

Supplementing with CO2 seemed to be a bit much for what I have. I was giving my aquarium plants nutrients for awhile but have since discontinued doing even that as I've adopted an as less as possible approach to what I put in my aquarium.

Out of the dozen or so plants I've over the past 10 months, an anubias barteri coin leaves and an anubias nana petite are the only plants that I haven't replaced. I now have an anubias heterophylla that they keep digging up so I'm going to tie it down soon. I currently have an amazon sword species and an underwater lily plant in there as well, but I don't expect either of them to last for long.

I do not mind replacing the plants that they destroy but some may not want to be bothered with all of that, and that is perfectly understandable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts