Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a juvenile Linni for about 2 months. Not sure yet if it is male or female. It is in a 125 gallon with 11 other assorted haps, peacocks and mbuna. They all get along great. I provide plenty of rock for them to explore and or hide. My Linni started acting differently yesterday. It does not swim around much. Shows limited interest in food. If it does pick up a pellet that has made it to the bottom, it sometimes spits it out. There are no visible signs of anything, i.e. ich, fin rot etc. It almost seems to be acting like a holding female, but like I said, it will pick up a pellet now and then. I don't think it is possible that it is holding since I have never witnessed any breeding behavior andI only have one Linni. I suppose anything is possible when it comes to cross breeding, just not sure with a Linni. I have the following livestock. Linni, OB Peacock, VC 10, Venustus male, Red Fin Borleyi male, Yello Lab, Red Zebra, Yello Tail Acei, Demasoni, Williamsi Blue Lips, Red Top Trewavase, and a common Jewel. I know, the Jewel is an odd fish for this tank, but I have one and it is pretty cool. I stay on top of my tank, weekly water changes, frequent testing etc. Ammonia at 0, Nitrites at 0, and I don't let Nitrates go above 40. Any ideas on what might be going on with my Linni? It would be very hard to catch him and isolate him without tearing down all my rocks, plus like I said, it is a 125. Lots of room for it to escape my net. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
It may feel intimidated by the other fish in the tank...even though maybe it should not. Where does it hang out in the tank? Any lurking under the surface or near/behind filter intakes or heaters?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He just hangs out near the bottom, right near the front glass in the middle of the tank in plain sight. He has been part of the gang up until yesterday. It has always been a passive fish, showing no aggression at all, but this is certainly different behavior for him.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I think they are wearing him down.

The harassed fish don't hide...they give up thus being in plain sight. Usually they are nearer the top though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen no signs of aggression in the tank, unless stuff happens at night that I am not aware of.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Getting listless and loosing interest in food/ spitting out food are warning signs of "bloat" disease. So check for symptoms of "bloat" disease. The bloating isn't until the fish is very ill, so you need to treat quickly before that.

Linni are pretty weird, they hang around motionless looking for fry to swim out from the rocks. I've seen one that would stay head pointed down/tail vertical hunting minutes at a time.They are very cool, but do seem to have a reputation for being more prone to bloat than Livingstoni/ Polystigma.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
The tell-tale symptom of "bloat" is thready, white or clear feces (as opposed to thick and food-colored).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not seen any of his poop for a few days, but he sure displays other symptoms. Not sure if I can catch and separate him without tearing my 125 gallon display tank apart. Do they ever recover from bloat on their own?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
No...but until you see the feces it can be something else. IME bloated fish hang around near the top or behind equipment.

In the course of your fishkeeping experience, you are likely to need to tear down your tank fairly often...maybe a good time to arrange things so that is practical?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I decided to tear down my 125 so I could catch my Linni. It was probably time to re-rockscape anyway. It gave me an opportunity to do a good vacuuming. I placed him in my 10 gallon quarantine/ hospital tank that I keep up and running for such occasions. I added a packet of API General Cure. I have heard some pretty positive reviews of the product. KG Tropicals used it, so I figured I would give it a try. Hopefully I intervened in time to save this quirky little guy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on my Linni. I have had him in a hospital tank for about 5 days now. I used 2 doses of API General Cure. I did a water change today and placed carbon in the filter to remove any residual medication. I also placed him in a epsom salt bath today for about 20 minutes. He has certainly displayed an increased level of activity. I introduced a little food beginning yesterday. He shows interest in the food and takes it in, but shortly after, spits it out. I tried a small piece of pea this evening. He attacked it, but eventually spit it out as well. I did notice a very thin threadlike poop coming out this evening. It almost looked like a fine piece of hair. I thought that was kind of strange. Hopefully he starts eating soon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I recently treated my Linni for possible bloat. He was listless, did not show interest in food and hung out at the bottom of the tank. I never noticed white stringy poop. I placed him in a hospital tank and treated with API General Cure. After 5 days of treatment, he was swimming around, coming to the glass looking for food etc. I gave him a epsom salt bath to try to get him to expel any possible dead parasites that might be present. I did notice a very thin hair like clear poop. It was hardly visible since it was so thin. I placed carbon in my filter to remove residual medication. Once I placed him back in the hospital tank, I began offering pellets. He went after them aggressively. He would chew on one for a bit then spit it out. He did this numerous times. He did the same with every type of food that I offered him. Not sure if I need to treat him again with API General Cure, some other treatment, or just wait it out to see if he stops spitting his food. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
I merged your 2 topics since they are about the same fish and issue.

It can take the fish a few more days before he starts to eat again so just keep trying. Did you notice what color the feces were?

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
I would just continue with the Epsom salt treatment in the hospital tank from the Library article. Ideally you want the fish to ingest the solution orally so you can try soaking a couple pellets in the solution until they are soft and see if he will eat them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have made medicated food, but he fails to swallow it. I may dose him again with General Cure as well as another epsom salt bath.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
This sounds normal for "bloat" type disease. Their stomachs fill up with fluid and they can't eat. Any poop is just very light and stringy. At least he may still be trying to eat, as they get worse they give up trying to eat and just seem very fatigued and just hang out near the bottom.

Metronidazole added to water has worked. Clout is used by some. Unfortunately the retail situation sucks nowadays, with so many pet stores disappearing, and may be hard to find.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dosed with General Cure again tonight. I will place him in a epsom salt bath again tomorrow. Hopefully he comes around. I will keep up the fight. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I use straight Metronidazole. Why mix with other meds that don't help as in General Cure?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess since I was not sure what was wrong with him initially, I figured I would use General Cure. Still not 100% sure, but all symptoms point to bloat except for actual bloating. Hopefully things turn around today and he eats something.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts