Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like being able to see vents on different fish, it has just help myself learn and become better at venting fish. Not sure about other cichlid owners but when I get wild fish in and its a species that males and females look the same I like being able to google it and see if I can find out how to sex the fish. This should now show up on google if someone else gets this fish and wants to vent them.

Male

Female

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after you look at the link, re look at my pics you should be able to see the larger vent on the female compared to the males.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
have you two ever vented fish before????

It sucks
Tried to vent my triglachromis, and even with magnification couldn't do it. They make it look so easy in the how-to's, but they've got a lot of magnification going there. I could vent those fish with that kind of magnification. But, no way from your pics I could ever do it. Besides, the vent on the bottom fish looks smaller than the top fish. What are you seeing that I'm not?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
jrf said:
Nope, never have vented a fish.
Think you are right with the male (vent and anus same size) I can not see the females bits well from the photo so guess it is different (vent larger than anus) and thus you are right.

Funny thing about venting. It becomes most clear after the fish have bred and then not realy needed.

All the best James

WOW on the photos. Its realy hard just to see the difference (in 30 seconds) let alone photo em. :thumb: Oh for those with little bio background the anus on a fish is the one nearer the head and the vent towards the tail. Near the anal fin or better name the ventral fin. :wink:

More pedantry I am afraid.
You want to give the name as it should be......... Capital for the first letter of the genus and lower case for the species and the whole lot in italics or underlined (well if you want to be taken seriously). A bit like this Limnochromis auritus venting photos.

No idea how to get em as more prominant on the web as think they should be but hey I have tried a bit. 8) And for the love of anything you treasure get the genus spelling right if you want anyone ever to find your photos. :wink:

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
That Topheus on the photos does not look well. I guess you are giving it a rest from a colony that are doing well in another tank?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya 24 I have never been the best at grammar or spelling, nothing but D's and C's on my report cards.

As far as the "Trophues" :D lol... I just moved some of my F 1 Katoto's in there the day I took this pick. I put them in there as dithers for the limno's. The Limno's were all betting the **** out of each other. I figured I have plenty of extra katoto's to spare if some get to bet up.

The Limno's are still in one of my quarantine tanks with crush coral. How long should I leave them in here. Its the only tank I have with crush coral because of the underground filter in it, but they seem to be doing just fine in it. They dig like crazy.

I am actually splitting my group up to because of the fighting. I have a pair of them up on aquabid for sale now.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Wierrd Limoo auritus for me where real peaceful fish. Not too much breeding I guess because I got borred of em because they only breed when at adult size.

Yep my spelling is legendary. Erm why is there not a spell check on this site? For sure it could be added without much hassle.; I guess its because like all snobs folk here think if you can not spell right first time no one thinks you have anything to say worth reading.

All the best James

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
24Tropheus said:
Wierrd Limoo auritus for me where real peaceful fish. Not too much breeding I guess because I got borred of em because they only breed when at adult size.

Yep my spelling is legendary. Erm why is there not a spell check on this site? For sure it could be added without much hassle.; I guess its because like all snobs folk here think if you can not spell right first time no one thinks you have anything to say worth reading.

All the best James
What do you think about the crush coral??
What did you keep yours on.

I have 5 in the tank and two pairs have formed and take up both sides of the tank. The single one takes the middle of the tank.

I have spell check on this site :thumb: Wonder why you do not :-?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I think crushed coral is great in the filters. No way would I use it as a substrate. Far too scratchy for fish that like to sift the substrate for extra food or like to dig.

Spell check still not working for me as you can see. :wink:

Kind of repeating myself but to breed these guys they kind of want a sand substarte and pipes half burred in the sand that they can excavate, Kind of the best simulation we can do in tanks that gives em the feel of the tunnels in mud that they excavate in the wild.

All the best James

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See thats what I read too. Maybe after I set up this 220G I will move them over to the 90G with sand.

I hate crush coral too, I just got this tank for free with the undergravel in it and I had 3 buckets full of crush coral.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts