Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
If there is ambient light in the room, my understanding is that you only need to put the light on if you have a planted tank. Otherwise, put it on when viewing and turn it off when not . . . that's what I do with my non-planted tanks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
My fish freak out when I turn off the light, then they relax.

They know lights out = sleepy time. Personally, having that cycle seems to have a good effect on them.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I guess there's two ways to read the question. Fish don't 'need' the light on at all if there's room light. But, if looking for a recommendation for lighting cycle, then 8-12 hours. I agree with Glaneon that the regular cycle that a timer can give them brings some routine to it for them and you avoid startling them any more than you have to by randomly turning on and off the light. Of course the algae factor comes into play and can affect the light duration recommendation. I also prefer to have the tank light already on when I walk into the room, so I can view and enjoy them even when passing through.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Jude_Fish said:
What would be the range of K to accent different color?

blue - daylight spectrum?
You can find info on lighting and K ratings here, but let's please keep this thread on topic. If you have further quesitons about K ratings, feel free to post up a new topic.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts