Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Although I didn't do this myself, I've decided my next Frontosa tank will only have blue LEDs.
You can order a DIY blue LED kit with 3W LEDs that are plenty bright but still give that deep water look.
Interested?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am. I was going to aim for the bluer lights so that did spark my interest. I'm looking up that kit on google right now. My frontosa tank is going to be right were you walk into the house and I got the a really good deal on the tank,stand, and canopy so I'm willing to spend some extra money to do all the extra things to make it look stunning.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
check this product out...
http://www.reefledlights.com/leds/

I'm thinking the Deep blues would look like a million bucks!
Whichever way you head, take pics... it's always interesting to see someone blaze the trail you plan to hike on soon! :thumb:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow them are not near as costly as I was thinking they would be. What else goes into setting them up are they ready to just mount in my canopy and plug in?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Assuming you're looking at the LED strip, you've got to wire up a controller and give that a power supply. Depending on the controller, if you want dimmable you'll need a source for that as well. Plus, given the size of that heat sink I suspect you'll need a little bit of air flow in your canopy.

I love my LED lighting, but it's still largely a DIY effort. Marineland is trying to break the mold with affordable stuff, but it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm running 2 36" Marineland Double Bright LEDs on my 6 foot 180g wc moba tank. I have them on an auto-timer for consistency.

I also am running 2 LED moonlights by digikits during the early morning and late night. These are on a separate auto-timer as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts