Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want new lighting for my s/a tank, where can i get them bright blue looking bulbs? Are they vary expensive?

·
Registered
223 Posts
What you want is called an actinic bulb. After some experimenting, I find the best bulbs are "combo" bulbs that are both Actinic and 10,000K combined.

I have a Compact Fluorescent fixture, I got it for cheap off ebay but a lot of online stores have decent ones from Coralife or whoever else for fair prices.

The cheapest way to do it would be to get a hood with standard fluorescent tubes and replace one with an Actinic (blue) and one with a 10,000K (bright white) bulb.

The more expensive (and brighter) way to do it would be to get a CF hood and either get a combo 50/50 bulb or a 10,000K and an Actinic bulb for it depending on if it's single or dual bulb hood.

Keep in mind: you can just replace your regular bulb with an Actinic bulb but the colors will be blue and you won't see any good highlights. A combo of bright white (10,000K) and Actinic will give you the best results in my experience.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just a quick question... my 55g tank has a hood which only fits one four foot flourescent bulb. Since the possibility of me getting two bulbs is out of the question, which would be the best type of lighting to give a nice blue tinge while still allowing me to see the entire spectrum of light?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.