Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently set up a 125 gallon six foot long fish tank. It has the 2 foot section cross beams on the top for the glass lids. I am currently running 3 lights just until my old tank sells. I have a budget of 150$ and need suggestions on what kind of ligting would be appropriate. I have a sand substrait and no plants and my tank is currently stocked with Hara, Lupingo, and some zebras. Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
36" DeepBlue Pro Solarmax HE T5 lights. Comes with two T5 bulbs and led moonlights. I have a total of 5 Deep Blue T5 fixtures on various tanks. So far so good. Great value for the price.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Piggyback question. If I go from an all in 1 hood/fluorescent light fixture to something like mentioned about, how do I deal with the lid? Are these lights designed to fit with an existing hood/lid?

Or is the idea that you buy a nice T5 light strip and bulbs and mount it over just a glass cover?

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can go with two options in this case.

1. Glass lid to replace your existing hood. T5 fixtures sit right on top.

2. Take your existing hood, and retrofit the T5 ballast/bulb/reflector into the existing hood assembly. The retrofit kits are pretty popular in reef forums. I remember seeing these retrofit kits at Marine Depot and locally at my LFS.

·
Registered
201 Posts
OK good to know. I didnt know there was a retro-fit kit. I would think that could potentially turn into a pain. I'll keep in in mind as I shop for a better lighting solution.

thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts