Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just spent alot of money, $240+ to replace 4 bulbs and 2 ballasts on my 48" coralife light. Bulbs are straight 4 pin 6700K. Since then I see that lights deteriorate in approx a year so I would be replacing 4 bulbs at $40 ea incl tax each year. Is there systems out there that are cheaper to maintain?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
bulbs only need to be replaced before burning out if you are growing plants and cannot compensate for the shift in light spectrum that is the reason for the bulb replacement. PErsonally, I never threw out bulbs until they burnt out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks number6,

I was reading another thread, cloudy water, and the subject of lighting came up and a replacement bulb, 5000K was just a typical of the shelf flourecent and was cheap. $3-$4. My set up requires 4 pin bulb, at $35-$40 per bulb. wondering if people think the extra expense is worth it. Does it bring the colour out in the fish? Should note the tank is 30" high.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
again, height of tank is only important if you are growing plants. Are you?
If you are not, then you could disconnect two bulbs and cut down on lighting costs by 50%. You can also buy a 10$ timer that allows for more than one "on" period. That way you can set the lights to come on when you are home only.

I have most of my tanks set to a 4 hour block of light in the morning, and a 4 hours block in the evening (including my planted tank). Only the reef tank stays on all day.

I wish you had posted prior to buying ballasts and lamps. If you had, I could have offered you some guidance about switching lights to either a cheaper T5 choice or even LEDs. That $200 plus could have gone very far! :wink:

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
If you do a search you will find those bulbs available for less than $15. Perhaps A&H. I don't have any links right now, but try a search for lighting supply.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Point taken about looking for input prior to forking out the cash. The cost off the bulbs is about average in local shops but should have looked online. Hope to have tank up and stocked in a couple of months. 150 gal. 2' X 4' X 30", Fx5 filter, Emporer 400. Will look into which media to use, various rocks, fake-no real plants, not sure on substrate or species yet. Tang's or Milawi.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just bought the double bright LED from Marineland for my 55 mbuna setup what a great light and no bulb replacement the light should last 5 years. I would have spent 200 in bulbs over that time and the light cost me 139.00USD It gives a nice shimmer I like the way the light falls off on the sides of the tank very realistic IMO.

and with the moonlight feature

1 - 7 of 7 Posts