Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i currently have a 4ft 300 litre amazon bow front aquarium which came with 2 t5 39w light tubes

The light doesn't seem to be penetrating to the bottom of the tank, and the fishes colors seem much more vivid at the top of the tank.

Can anyone recommend a alternative or upgrade to produce a brighter light to bring out the colors in the fish

(It is not a planted aquarium)

Many Thanks Lisa

·
Registered
242 Posts
What length light strips are they and are they T5 or T5-HO. When you say 39W - that is the typical output for a 34" T5HO (36" light) and a 46" T5HO (48" light) is 54W - 36" and 48" inch regular T5 bulbs are 21W and 28W, respectively. Although you could still be running T5HO 34" bulbs in a regular T5 strip without the oomph of the T5HO ballast for the increased light. Whatever your mix is and especially if you have T5HO - How old are your bulbs? they may need replacing. Usually life for max output is 6-9 months - they'll run longer but the output and spectrum is substantially reduced as you have found out. I know lighting is different for everyone, but 2 39W T5 on a tank that size (not really that big or deep) should light up the tank very efficiently, especially if they are T5HO - you could do surgery under those on a tank that size. I should also add that it depends on the light fixture itself - the quality of the ballast and the reflectors because all T5 or T5HO light strips aren't equal in their performance - the bulbs are but then the other variables produce varying results.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a brand new aquarium from my local aquatic shop so the bulbs are brand new

I will try and upload some photos later

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts